Weissbier pinkus Hefe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewmatersmike

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
krolsch
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
typical hefe
I was looking for a Pinkus Hefe clone. I like this beer a lot and could not find one. I contacted the brewmaster at Pinkus and through a series of E-mails, he guided me to this recepie. It is a versitle grain bill and different hops and yeast can be used. I used Danistar Munich for this batch. A Krolsch would be perfect for this.
The step mash is what they use at the brewery so that is what I did for this batch. I will try a single infusion for my next batch and see if there is a major difference.
If someone attempts this before I do, give me some feedback.
Enjoy.

Type: All Grain
Date: 11/7/2010
Batch Size: 5.25 gal
Brewer: mike
Boil Size: 6.32 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 90 min Equipment: My Equipment
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) Bel (3.0 SRM) Grain 50.00 %
5.50 lb Wheat Malt, Pale (Weyermann) (2.0 SRM) Grain 50.00 %
1.00 oz Hallertauer [3.00 %] (90 min) Hops 10.6 IBU
0.25 oz Hallertauer [3.00 %] (15 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
0.25 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker [3.00 %] (5 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.059 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.048 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.015 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.67 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.69 %
Bitterness: 10.6 IBU Calories: 212 cal/pint
Est Color: 4.6 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Temperature Mash, 2 Step, Full Body Total Grain Weight: 11.00 lb
Sparge Water: 4.20 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Temperature Mash, 2 Step, Full Body Step Time Name Description Step Temp
30 min Protein Rest Add 13.75 qt of water at 129.3 F 122.0 F
30 min Step Heat to 143.0 F over 5 min 143.0 F
30 min Step Heat to 151.0 F over 5 min 151.0 F
30 min Step Heat to 162.0 F over 2 min 162.0 F
10 min Mash Out Heat to 168.0 F over 10 min 168.0 F

pinkus 1.jpg

that's funny, i did the same thing; contacted the brewery in germany and they helpedme with my brew. it's been a couple of months and i'm drinking one right now, pretty good for my first all grain. i used WLP029.

Nice! I was looking for a clone of this a while back. I think the reason I liked it so much was that to me it seemed more like an American Hefe style since it didn't have pronounced clove/banana esters normally associated with Bavarian Hefe's. When I was searching for a clone recipe a while back, someone on the AHA board also recommended trying WLP029. What temp did you guys ferment at? Looks like the recommendation is 65-69°F so I'm leaning towards pitching at 65 and bringing it up to 68 to finish.

I don't remember my pitch temp. I would have to look up my notes.
I am planning on brewing one again soon. The ambient temp would be perfect right now in New york, 50's and 60's. My basment is a cool 60.

Nice! I was looking for a clone of this a while back. I think the reason I liked it so much was that to me it seemed more like an American Hefe style since it didn't have pronounced clove/banana esters normally associated with Bavarian Hefe's. When I was searching for a clone recipe a while back, someone on the AHA board also recommended trying WLP029. What temp did you guys ferment at? Looks like the recommendation is 65-69°F so I'm leaning towards pitching at 65 and bringing it up to 68 to finish.

you can ferment WLP029 pretty low i keep mine down at 65 for fermentation and i'm going to drop it to 55 for a week in a wine chiller i bought off of craigslist to see what that does.

let me know how it turns out. The Bannana/ clove profile does not fit this particular beer. I think a more clean taste is what this brand is about.

Back