Pink Krausen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisvaf

Reaction score
Hey everyone. Brewed an American Wheat a few weeks ago using US-05. It fermented in my SS Brewtech Brew Bucket for a bit over 3 weeks and I just racked it to my keg. The color of the beer appeared to be ok through the silicone transfer hose but when I opened up the fermenter after transfer I noticed the color of the krausen stuck to the walls was pink~ish. There were also small brown particles all over the bottom of the fermenter. I am including a couple of pics.

Never seen any of my fermentations look like this so I figured I would post asking if anyone has any insight. I didn't taste it as there was no liquid left after the the transfer but it seems to smell ok.

Recipe as follows:
------------
8.0 oz Rice Hulls
5 lbs 2-row
4 lbs White Wheat Malt
1 lbs Oats, Flaked
0.25 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh - First Wort
1.75 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh - (Boil 60.0 mins)
1.90 tsp Coriander Seed (Boil 10.0 mins)
0.50 tsp Orange Peel, Sweet (Boil 5.0 mins)
1.0 pkg US-05

Attachments

• AmericanWheat-June-2019.jpg
    AmericanWheat-June-2019.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 195
  • AmericanWheat-June-2019-2.jpg
    AmericanWheat-June-2019-2.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 526
I'm thinking it's probably from the orange peel or coriander.

I don't suppose you used Brewtan B?

Serratia is pink, but if you're using proper cleaning/sanitation, contamination seems unlikely. I've never seen anyone with an unexplained pink kräusen.

I'm thinking it's probably from the orange peel or coriander.

I don't suppose you used Brewtan B?

Serratia is pink, but if you're using proper cleaning/sanitation, contamination seems unlikely. I've never seen anyone with an unexplained pink kräusen.
No, did not use Brewtan B, and I like to think my cleaning/sanitation routine is very sound. I initially thought it might be from the orange peel or coriander but then the brown "droppings" got me a little more scared. I'll give it a taste when the temp has dropped to serving temp to see how it initially tastes.

Chrisvaf, did you ever figure out what it was? Did it harm your flavor or finished product at all? I just transferred Grapefruit IPA to keg, had in primary for about 30 days. I also had the pink, but it was on top of a tan krausen (almost like it was a secondary Krausen). was worried it was mold, but IPA smelled great as I transferred it. I dry hopped a week ago with 1 oz Cascade, and 1 oz Simcoe... but don't think that mattered. Letting it condition for another 4 weeks before I tap it. Let me know how your American Wheat turned out.

Comes from the coloring they use when they spray paint the citrus to make it look uniform - Just like we spray the Christmas trees to make them more green, and our apples to make them more photo friendly. The factory that makes this paint is literally in my back yard - and they have been making it for almost fifty years. Supposedly it is food grade and not toxic. :ghostly:

I had this happen as well to me! More pink than you had! I didn’t use anything but malt hops water yeast and it also happened in my first brew using the SS brewtech brew bucket!

I’m still not sure what caused mine!

Maybe it's dye leaching out of the weldless fitting gaskets from that brand ;)

Just kidding.

Maybe it's dye leaching out of the weldless fitting gaskets from that brand ;)

Just kidding.

I would imagine it would play around with the beer color than too, no? Although odd they both have the same fermenter with the same oddball concern

I just did did a 4 gal split batch between a few different yeasts and my sourdough starter. I pulled off 1 gal of wort for the sourdough starter before adding any hops in order to prevent inhibiting the lacto. The other 3 krausens for typical strains look normal while my sourdough starter krausen is pink! So this is definitely wild bacteria/yeast induced (at least mine is).

For those that had beers with pink krausen...did your beer still taste good? Are you still alive? From what I understand, I don’t think this should harm me. But who knows if it’ll be any good.
45E884CE-A7D4-49D7-B986-5A916C3DF750.jpeg

As a follow-up, my 'pink' beer produced from sourdough ended up awesome and I'm still alive!

I stumbled on this thread a few months ago and forgot to comment. Glad it came back up.
I love Hefe's and make a lot of wheat based beer.
I use Stefon from Imperial (Weisthaphen strain.)

I tend to get a slightly pink/brown hue to the Krausen. I do use a pound of red wheat in my recipie tho, so maybe that is a bit of it?
Beer always comes out perfect wheat beer color amd taste though.
Although i feel like this style is so forgiving- no need to worry about clearing the beer, and the clove<->bananna flavors can help hide any of my mistakes.
And even a bad batch makes a really good shandy!!!

Hey everyone. Brewed an American Wheat a few weeks ago using US-05. It fermented in my SS Brewtech Brew Bucket for a bit over 3 weeks and I just racked it to my keg. The color of the beer appeared to be ok through the silicone transfer hose but when I opened up the fermenter after transfer I noticed the color of the krausen stuck to the walls was pink~ish. There were also small brown particles all over the bottom of the fermenter. I am including a couple of pics.

Never seen any of my fermentations look like this so I figured I would post asking if anyone has any insight. I didn't taste it as there was no liquid left after the the transfer but it seems to smell ok.

Recipe as follows:
------------
8.0 oz Rice Hulls
5 lbs 2-row
4 lbs White Wheat Malt
1 lbs Oats, Flaked
0.25 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh - First Wort
1.75 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh - (Boil 60.0 mins)
1.90 tsp Coriander Seed (Boil 10.0 mins)
0.50 tsp Orange Peel, Sweet (Boil 5.0 mins)
1.0 pkg US-05

I know this is an old thread but I just transferred an IPA off dryhop to secondary and the krausen ring in the fermenter was pinkish, never saw that before. The beer smells and tastes ok so far. Only malts, hops and yeast were used as well as some brewing salts. Stainless fermenter, same recipe as always for this beer except I used WLP001 in place of WLP007. Anyone else have pinkish krausen ring, make me think infection?

Back