Pinewood Derby Double IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WayFrae

Homebrew Enthusiast
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Grain:
16 lbs Pale 2 Row
1 lb White Wheat Malt
1 lb Corn Sugar

No Sparge BIAB.
Strike temp 159F.
Mash for 90 minutes @152F.

Hops:
7 oz Simcoe
5 oz Amarillo

Hops Schedule:
0.50 oz Simcoe 60 min
1.0 oz Simcoe 20 min
1.0 oz Amarillo 15 min
1.0 oz Simcoe 15 min
1.0 oz Amarillo 10 min
1.0 oz Simcoe 5 min
1.0 oz Amarillo 1 min
2.5 oz Simcoe Hop Stand @ 170F for 30 min
1 oz Amarillo Hop Stand @ 170F for 30 min
1 oz Simcoe Dry Hop for 7 days
1 oz Amarillo Dry Hop for 7 days

Add one tsp Irish moss with 15 minutes left in the boil.

Decant 2L yeast starter and pitch slurry at 60F.

I just brewed this yesterday (May 27, 2014) SG: 1.087 I will post how it turns out when it is finished. This was my first go at all grain and at putting together my own recipe. Critiques are welcome.

I love the simarillo combo! I like the simplicity and them hops will really come through judging off your grain bill. :rockin:

I really want the hops to shine so I hope you are right! Also, it looks like I forgot to add the dry hops to the recipe. I am planning on dry hopping with an ounce of Simcoe and an ounce of Amarillo. I will have to fix that!

It looks like it is at FG of 1.017 as of yesterday. I tasted the sample and WOW I am really pleased with this beer. It is super light colored which was to be expected. I will keep updating this thread with the tasting notes and such once it is finished.

So, I jumped the gun a little with my FG reading. It ended up finishing at 1.014. I bottled this yesterday. The sample was tasty but I do wish I had added about a half pound of caramel malt.

Try more wheat or swapping for oats. You'll get some residual sweetness but without the caramel flavor.

Try more wheat or swapping for oats. You'll get some residual sweetness but without the caramel flavor.

Ok, how much wheat? I don't really want a lot of flavor from the wheat but this beer does need some sweetness from somewhere. Do you think doubling the wheat to 2 lbs would be sufficient?

Doubling could be enough. I've always used oats for this but wheat should be similar. The recipe I just did was

10# pils
5.5# vienna
2# oats
.5# dex

That went from 1.080 to 1.014 and still seemed sweeter than expected.

Doubling could be enough. I've always used oats for this but wheat should be similar. The recipe I just did was

10# pils
5.5# vienna
2# oats
.5# dex

That went from 1.080 to 1.014 and still seemed sweeter than expected.

Ok cool. Maybe I will try oats if I still think it needs some sweetness after it is all carbed up.

Well, I popped one open tonight. Its day 9 since bottling. It is still slightly undercarbed, probably taking longer because of the gelatin and cold crash, but boy is it tasty! I am very pleased with this beer. I dont miss the caramel malt at all like I did with the sample. It is really good. I do wish I would have dryhopped with 4 oz to really get that aroma to punch me in the nose.

I'll tell you what, I have an All Citra RyePA that is going to get bottled next week sometime and once it is all carbed up, I will send you one of each :mug:

Was my name a dead giveaway on my favorite hop or are you a mind reader?! I'd be more than happy to wait for some great homebrew :rockin: My homebrew's arent to the great checkpoint yet but they are inching their way!

I figured you would like that haha. Yeah your name is a dead giveaway. I don't know if my homebrews can be classified as great either but I enjoy them. It will be nice to get some feedback. I will PM you for your address once it is bottled and carbed up!

I'll make myself available anytime you need some honest feedback and ill PM you once my 100%brett IPA is completed and tasted to see if i failed or not. lol

How long have you been brewing for?

I'll make myself available anytime you need some honest feedback and ill PM you once my 100%brett IPA is completed and tasted to see if i failed or not. lol

How long have you been brewing for?

Not long at all, about 6 months. :cross: How about you?

Looks like a solid DIPA. My only suggestions would have been to FWH the Simcoe for some flavor instead of 60 min and at least double the dry hop amount.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

did you end up using wheat or oats? you have a very clear beer already!

I had already brewed it when you suggested oats. I might try it with oats just to see how it is on the next batch but I am really pleased with how it turned out with wheat. When I tasted a sample at bottling I really had wished it had some additional sweetness but I didn't miss it at all when I tried the bottle the other night. I am going to wait to try another bottle in a week or so.

Looks like a solid DIPA. My only suggestions would have been to FWH the Simcoe for some flavor instead of 60 min and at least double the dry hop amount.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I have never done FWH but I am intrigued by it. I still don't quite understand how the flavor doesn't get boiled out during the boil. I completely agree with you on the dry hop amount. It is a tasty brew but could really use the additional aroma.

I will be brewing this one again for sure and will let you all know any changes I make.

Hey wayfrae did you post the recipe for that Citra RyPA! id like to give it a shot, im starting to love IPA's with Rye!

Hey wayfrae did you post the recipe for that Citra RyPA! id like to give it a shot, im starting to love IPA's with Rye!

Yeah. Originally I was planning to use malted rye but the lhbs was out so I went with flaked rye. The sample tasted great at bottling. It should be ready in another week or two. I am super impatient so I might drink one tonight. Here is the link to that thread. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/rye-rye-478486/index2.html

Nothing special really. My buddy and I were reminiscing about pinewood derbies while we were brewing. We decided to change the name to Hop Two because there are only 2 varieties of hops.

Yeah. Originally I was planning to use malted rye but the lhbs was out so I went with flaked rye. The sample tasted great at bottling. It should be ready in another week or two. I am super impatient so I might drink one tonight. Here is the link to that thread. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/rye-rye-478486/index2.html

Thanks man! looks like my kind of recipe, not too complicated of a grain bill and gotta love citra! :mug:

Back