New England IPA Pina Colada Oat Cream NEIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratinator

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 1318
Yeast Starter
Yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Got a recommendation from brulosophy to mix 50/50 sabro(tropical/coconut) and bru-1(pineapple) in an ipa and was reading into milkshake ipas and oat creams so I mixed it all together and what turned out was my favourite NEIPA I have brewed to date:

Mash 60 mins @ 152F

7lbs 2 Row (50%)
4lbs Oats, Malted (28.6%)
2.5lbs Oats, Flaked (17.9%)
.5lbs Honey Malt (3.6%)

Boil

.5lb Lactose (10 mins) *might try full lb v2*
2oz Sabro/2oz Bru-1 (0 mins)
2oz Sabro/2oz Bru-1 (whirlpool)
2oz Sabro/2oz Bru-1 (dry hop day 3)
2oz Sabro/2oz Bru-1 (dry hop day 6)

Wyeast 1318 London Ale III

On day 10 it is time to keg/bottle and drink fresh. I believe I did a 1:3 sulfite:chloride ratio

Attachments

• 20200404_174854.jpg
    20200404_174854.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 322
Last edited:
This is awesome. I find that 0.5 lb of lactose is great in this type of style, adding a lot of lactose seems to always mute the hop flavors that I get out of beers.

Question - do you find that WY1318 has some esters that can boost these Pina Colada type flavors?

This is awesome. I find that 0.5 lb of lactose is great in this type of style, adding a lot of lactose seems to always mute the hop flavors that I get out of beers.

Question - do you find that WY1318 has some esters that can boost these Pina Colada type flavors?

Ya I didn't want it to be too sweet, especially since I had the honey malt in there. The sweetness was pretty spot on, hops are definitely the star of the show. I don't have a temperature control so I fermented on the warmer side of the 1318 at around 70F. The hops flavors are super tropical and the bitterness isn't overwhelming. If I had to boost one flavor it would be the coconut either by a touch of extract or some roasted coconut in secondary.

Got a recommendation from brulosophy to mix 50/50 sabro(tropical/coconut) and bru-1(pineapple) in an ipa and was reading into milkshake ipas and oat creams so I mixed it all together and what turned out was my favourite NEIPA I have brewed to date:

Mash 60 mins @ 152F

7lbs 2 Row (50%)
4lbs Oats, Malted (28.6%)
2.5lbs Oats, Flaked (17.9%)
.5lbs Honey Malt (3.6%)

Boil

.5lb Lactose (10 mins) *might try full lb v2*
2oz Sabro/2oz Bru-1 (0 mins)
2oz Sabro/2oz Bru-1 (whirlpool)
2oz Sabro/2oz Bru-1 (dry hop day 3)
2oz Sabro/2oz Bru-1 (dry hop day 6)

Wyeast 1318 London Ale III

On day 10 it is time to keg/bottle and drink fresh. I believe I did a 1:3 sulfite:chloride ratio

love the recipe, and I would stay with half pound of lactose.

If it were me I would either switch to an East Coast IPA or Vt IPA yeast to enhance haze

I also don’t think it qualifies as an IPA if it’s literally getting zero bitterness from hops.

it’s intriguing to have a NEIPA with no boil hops. I like the thought!

It'a pretty hazy with the 50% oats. You'd be surprised of how much bitterness you get from 4oz @ 0 and 4oz @ whirlpool. I would say it's around 20-30 IBUs. I have done NEIPAs with earlier hops and I find them too bitter for my taste. Nice part about lactose is you can add it anytime during the brewing process

It'a pretty hazy with the 50% oats. You'd be surprised of how much bitterness you get from 4oz @ 0 and 4oz @ whirlpool. I would say it's around 20-30 IBUs. I have done NEIPAs with earlier hops and I find them too bitter for my taste. Nice part about lactose is you can add it anytime during the brewing process

I hear ya on the oats. Have you ever used an East coast or VT IPA yeast? just curious...they are awesome for haze, truly.

I also hear ya on the earlier hops, but I feel like to call it a NEIPA it needs that early addition...not knocking you at all, sometimes I make a beer and call it a style and then realize its not that style at all (or at least not indicative of it by flavor profile)

I just did a lime coconut milkshake IPA (motueka brought such incredible lime flavor it was insane) and I feel like 1 pound of lactose is just too much for the style. A milk stout needs it, but the milkshake IPA gets the same creaminess but I feel like it gets overly sweet with a full pound. Cheers

I have not, I usually stick with 1318 because I don't do a lot of NEIPAs due to the cost of hops and not being able to wash the yeast. Mind sharing the coconut lime recipe?

I have not, I usually stick with 1318 because I don't do a lot of NEIPAs due to the cost of hops and not being able to wash the yeast. Mind sharing the coconut lime recipe?

Partial mash
5.5gal
1.7# mecca shaniko white wheat
3.4# Viking 2-row
1# flaked oats
mashed in 3.5 gallons at 156 for 60 minutes
sparged with 3.5 gallons at 170
1 pound Extrtalight DME (20)
3 pounds pale ale LME (30)
3 pounds pilsen LME (45)
1 pound lactose (10)

Hopbill:
28g whole leaf Petoskey (60)
14g pellet N1/69 (60)
19g whole leaf Petoskey (10)
10g pellet N1/69 (5)
28g pellet U1/108 (whirlpool)

Giga VT IPA yeast

1.1 pounds coconut puree at pitching (would do this during fermentation next time...it delayed fermentation quite a bit)

Fermentation at 64.7F
after 3 days raise fermentation temp to 68.7F

9 days in primary
Racked onto:
28g U1/108
30g Centennial

6 days into secondary:
Add 1 ounce Motueka
remove after 3 days

prime and bottle after 4 more days

Expected initial gravity 1.072 (75%)
Actual initial gravity 1.072
Expected final gravity: 1.022
Actual final gravity: 1.020

Some people will tell me I am crazy for the added steps of adding malt extract, but I like to add LME/DME later to lessen caramelization, and stagger different malt extracts to allow the wort to develop itself before next addition..and as always: irish moss and yeast nutrient

I also grow the Petoskey, and dont know if you can actually buy that hop. Not sure of an alternative for that one.

Partial mash
5.5gal
1.7# mecca shaniko white wheat
3.4# Viking 2-row
1# flaked oats
mashed in 3.5 gallons at 156 for 60 minutes
sparged with 3.5 gallons at 170
1 pound Extrtalight DME (20)
3 pounds pale ale LME (30)
3 pounds pilsen LME (45)
1 pound lactose (10)

Hopbill:
28g whole leaf Petoskey (60)
14g pellet N1/69 (60)
19g whole leaf Petoskey (10)
10g pellet N1/69 (5)
28g pellet U1/108 (whirlpool)

Giga VT IPA yeast

1.1 pounds coconut puree at pitching (would do this during fermentation next time...it delayed fermentation quite a bit)

Fermentation at 64.7F
after 3 days raise fermentation temp to 68.7F

9 days in primary
Racked onto:
28g U1/108
30g Centennial

6 days into secondary:
Add 1 ounce Motueka
remove after 3 days

prime and bottle after 4 more days

Expected initial gravity 1.072 (75%)
Actual initial gravity 1.072
Expected final gravity: 1.022
Actual final gravity: 1.020

Some people will tell me I am crazy for the added steps of adding malt extract, but I like to add LME/DME later to lessen caramelization, and stagger different malt extracts to allow the wort to develop itself before next addition..and as always: irish moss and yeast nutrient

I also grow the Petoskey, and dont know if you can actually buy that hop. Not sure of an alternative for that one.

We definitely have different ideas of what a milkshake ipa recipe should look like. In an milkshake ipa (in my opinion and with all respect to you especially since it's such a new and open style) you want all those aromas and flavors from your hops to complement the lactose and I just don't see that with 3.5 of hops most of them at 60mins. I also wouldn't do a secondary and take advantage of biotransformation (more flavor/more haze) while drinking the beer fresh. When I do a NEIPA it is in the keg on day 10. Where are you getting coconut puree from? I am also not sure how 3 days/1oz of motueka can bring such an incredible lime flavor.

If I was gonna take a stab at a coconut/lime milkshake ipa (and I just may soon) I personally would use my same grain bill and use a combination of Wakatu/Motueka hops with some lime peel/zest with 5 mins left in boil and some brewers best coconut extract to taste to the keg

We definitely have different ideas of what a milkshake ipa recipe should look like. In an milkshake ipa (in my opinion and with all respect to you especially since it's such a new and open style) you want all those aromas and flavors from your hops to complement the lactose and I just don't see that with 3.5 of hops most of them at 60mins. I also wouldn't do a secondary and take advantage of biotransformation (more flavor/more haze) while drinking the beer fresh. When I do a NEIPA it is in the keg on day 10. Where are you getting coconut puree from? I am also not sure how 3 days/1oz of motueka can bring such an incredible lime flavor.

If I was gonna take a stab at a coconut/lime milkshake ipa (and I just may soon) I personally would use my same grain bill and use a combination of Wakatu/Motueka hops with some lime peel/zest with 5 mins left in boil and some brewers best coconut extract to taste to the keg

i guess to touch on a few points:
Early additions were to increase bitterness that would be counteracted by the sweetness of the lactose and overall flavor bursting of the 108, centennial, and motueka

The coconut purée is from a gourmet restaurant supply store.

Secondary was to get the wort off of the coconut to remove the chance for head retention impact from releasing of oils over time

I will be honest, I wanted the motueka to impart a bit of lime to accentuate the coconut, but something about the lactose and motueka made it absolutely insane lime. Not even kidding. It’s almost borderline tart. The lime wasn’t even going to be in the naming of the beer but one taste and smell and you can’t ignore it.

As far as different ideas, I certainly welcome them. I will say this:
Almost 3 ounce in the boil
Almost 3 ounce total double dry hopped...I’m not sure how it can not be considered in the category of IPA.
Color, grainbill, hopbill, bitterness, it’s right on par, and the style just needs lactose to complete it. VT IPA and double dry hop for haze, and we are right there.

the extract was basically leftovers that I needed to use up or I would have gone AG because I just transitioned my 5-6 gallon batches to AG completely considering my 1bbl batches are all AG now (White wheat was to use it up from my last two batches)

As far as extract: I would use Apex top notes before I ever used BB extracts (much better flavor, better for head retention, yada yada yada)

and the zest, great idea but like I said, I wasn’t planning on lime, it was just an amazing surprise!

Id be interested in your recipe (or how it looks)

Last edited:
Back