Pin Lock Conversion?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjp68

Reaction score
Anyone ever convert a pin lock to ball lock? I have access to a few used coke kegs. Would it be as simple as replacing the posts and poppets?

Anyone ever convert a pin lock to ball lock? I have access to a few used coke kegs. Would it be as simple as replacing the posts and poppets?

Just that simple.

Of note, I ordered two converted kegs from cornykeg a month ago and they are pin locks with their ball lock replacement pack...the kegs are a little fatter, shorter, and the replacement ball locks work nice and smooth.

There are a few other details on pin lock's, which are minor but worth noting... These details are from the Coke pin-lock's I have:

- Yes, shorter and slightly fatter.
- The dip tube is not bent like in my Pepsi ball-locks. Instead, the bottom of the keg is shaped to divert the flow to where the pick-up is.
- The special socket is "nice to have" but not 100% needed. A 13/16" regular open-ended wrench can be convinced to work.

M_C

if your swaping them out, who cares about the wrench? my local steel center doesnt care if i mangled the pins getting the old fitting off.

As far as the dip tube, I think that depends on the brand of keg. On my pinlocks, I have 4 that have the diptube straight off to the side, and 4 that they are curved to the center.

As far as the dip tube, I think that depends on the brand of keg. On my pinlocks, I have 4 that have the diptube straight off to the side, and 4 that they are curved to the center.

+1

I have 14 pin lock kegs across three different manufacturers and my experience is similar. Firestone is one way (straight) and Cornelius is the other (curved) and Hoover Universal is like one of the other two, but I can't remember which.

I guess my 2 pin locks are Firestone's :D

Oddly enough, my 2 pin locks are without a vent.

M_C
+1

I have 14 pin lock kegs across three different manufacturers and my experience is similar. Firestone is one way (straight) and Cornelius is the other (curved) and Hoover Universal is like one of the other two, but I can't remember which.

I guess my 2 pin locks are Firestone's :D

Oddly enough, my 2 pin locks are without a vent.

M_C

Without a vent entirely or just without a pull for the relief valve? I have only two pin lock kegs with a relief valve pull, and the rest have a relief valve without a pull. You can either vent the keg through the gas in or replace the pull-less lids with ball lock style lids that do have the pull ring.

Gas in, Bev out, lid with NOTHING on it. I've vented through the gas in, works fine as long as it's not overfilled or shook-up. Got those from a LHBS wayyy back when, in Canada. Refund was $10 and sticker was French+English.

M_C
Without a vent entirely or just without a pull for the relief valve? I have only two pin lock kegs with a relief valve pull, and the rest have a relief valve without a pull. You can either vent the keg through the gas in or replace the pull-less lids with ball lock style lids that do have the pull ring.

I have a coke keg as well with no pressure relief valve in the lid. All my others are ball lock so I might buy the converson posts.

Back