Pilsner Water Profile

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beernik

Reaction score
I need some water profile advice.

Since I didn't get a chance to make my pumpkin saison before winter set in, I'm thinking about doing a pumpkin pilsner instead. Here is all I have for a water profile:

Aluminum - 0.005 mg/l
Asbestos - non detect
Arsenic - 0.005 mg/l

Barium - 0.1 mg/l
Chromium - 0.01 mg/l
Cyanide - 0.002 mg/l

Fluorine - 0.3 mg/l
Mercury - non detect
Nitrate - 0.9 mg/l

Nitrite - non detect
Selenium - 0.002 mg/l
Sodium - 27 mg/l

Sulfate - 30 mg/l
TDS - 548 mg/l
Turbidity - 0.03 - 1 NTU

Zinc - 0.01 mg/l
Copper - 0.9 mg/l
Lead - 0.008 mg/l

It gives me nothing on Calcium, Bicarbonate, Magnesium, or Cloride. I am assuming most of the TDS is that isn't listed as something else is hardness. So, let's say something upwards of 400 mg/L.

I'm wondering if I split 50/50 with some RO or Distilled water if that would give me a profile appropriate for a Pilsner.

If I have to go with more than 50% RO or Distilled water then I'm thinking of embracing the hardness and modifying the recipe for a Dortmunder Export just because I don't want to buy that much RO for this beer.

That is highly mineralized water! The distribution of that TDS value could be all over the place, but you are probably correct that a significant component is hardness and alkalinity. Although your idea to create a Dort has merit, I still think you will be unhappy with the result. You still have to knock down the alkalinity for a pale beer like that. You really would be more pleased with a substantial proportion of RO for that brew too.

Obtaining the rest of the water information is highly beneficial. Call the water provider and talk with someone in the water quality lab. They probably have that data.

It's been 3.5 years since I've made it, but I've made a Dortmunder Export without any water modifications before.

I used:
Pilsen - 8.0lb
Munich - 2.0lb
Crystal 10L - 0.5lb

And used a double decoction mash. It turned out clean and malty.

Back