Pilsner recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhot55

Reaction score
Looking for a nice crisp pilsner recipe for the early summer. I've made Czech and German piles before and have been more than happy with all. This time around m looking to tweak the boundaries- I have plenty of NZ/AU hops, even some German bastards with noble parentage. I'm definitely looking to keep it pilsner-like with a nice subtle but noticeably hint of whichever hop(s) I use and not like an ipa.
Here's my idea:
ABV- 5.2-6%
FG- dry, 1.008-1.011
IBU- depends on what I decide but somewhere between 35-55
grain bill: 90-95% pilsner malt, maybe some carapils and acid malt
Yeast: obviously pilsner which focuses a little more on letting hops come through
Hops: dilemma- I have nelson sauvin, motueka, hallertauer blanc, pacifica and saphir. Also mandarina Bavaria and hell melon. I have noble hops to keep it more likes pilsner for buttering and maybe evensome towards the last half of the boil (hallertauer, Perle, saaz, even Mt hood) Any ideas on combinations? Or which one in particular will give a nice but not overwhelming presence? Thinking the NZ/AU hops for a whirlpool and or dry hop but want to be careful not to overwhelm the malt. I am used to throwing in several oz whirlpool and dry hop for ipas.
Water: also not sure on this one- soft Czech profile or a little more towards German piles profile?

The Nelson would be good, however the only other NZ hops I have experience with is Pacifica, but it was in combo with wakatu. The combo gave a great fruity taste and aroma so maybe you might stick with Nelson.

Back