Pilsner AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gabe

It's a sickness!
Reaction score
I am putting togeather this Pilsner recipe . The ? I have is about the hops. I want to use somthing other than Saaz, and still stick to the style. Anyone use somthing else with good results. Here's my grain bill.

7# Germin Pilsner Malt
3# Vienna Malt
.5# Carapils

I'll use a WLP830 German Lager Yeast.

This won't answer your hops question but if you're trying to make a pilsner, there should not be any Vienna malt in it.

Too dark.

Use either light Crystal or Carahell instead of the Vienna. Maybe a little German Munich. Pilsners are defined by Saaz but if you want something else try either Hallertauer, Mt. Hood or Tettnanger.

stick vit dee german hops ya!

What is your aversion to Saaz? If it's too earthy/herbal, skip dry hopping it, and you may be pleasantly suprised.

I think it is impossible to make a Czech Pils without the Saaz, but a german i think you can have a bit more room to play with your hop bill.

Tett or Hallertauer would be the two i would consider.

I thought Vienna was super light in color and taste? I have like 30 OZ's of hops but no Saaz so that was my drawback. I do have mt.hood and a few others mentioned.

gabe said:
I thought Vienna was super light in color and taste?

Nope. Look at a glass of Negro Modelo, that's Vienna Malt in action!

If you're making a real pilsener, just use 100% pils malt and you'll be all set.

Mikey said:
Nope. Look at a glass of Negro Modelo, that's Vienna Malt in action!

If you're making a real pilsener, just use 100% pils malt and you'll be all set.

It may be that Negro Modelo has a lot if vienna malt BUT i think that the vienna is more to do with the flavor and less with the color. Its probably a dark crystal or a chocolate thats making it dark. Vienna is quite light, definatly not as dark as Negro Modelo.

Regardless, i wouldnt use vienna malt in a pilsener anyway.... 10% carahell would be great!

I think id use hallertauer hops, but try to find saaz cause thats what you really want.

Back