Pilsen vs. 2-Row Pale in a Belgian Golden Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NigeltheBold

Reaction score
I'm making a recipe for a Belgian golden strong ale, and I'm wondering if it would be a problem if I used 2-Row Pale malt instead of Pilsen as a base malt. Most recipes I've seen use Pilsen, but I want to avoid doing a 90-minute boil to reduce the DMS in the beer (which is a concern when using Pilsen).

Should I try using 2-Row Pale? Should I suck it up and use the Pilsen? Or should I do a regular 60-minute boil with the Pilsen?

I'm looking to make a beer similar in flavor to Delirium Tremens or Goose Island Matilda. Those beers are awesome. Do you think they use pilsen as a base malt?

Delirium Tremens is almost definitely made with pilsener malt, Matilda is made with 2-row pale. What's the issue you have with a 90 minute boil?

If your looking to make a golden strong I'd use the Pilz, I'm a big fan of regular pale but some styles like tripples and golden strong and pilsners don't have much specialty grains and so much of the flavor depends on the pilsner malt. You want that grainy sweetness rather then that bready flavor from pale malt.
You can use pale malt and it would still be a tasty brew but it won't be a golden strong.

I'm just trying to save a little time and a little propane. But you're right, it's not a big deal. I'll probably just go with the Pilsner.

Pilsner and Pale don't taste the same! If you don't want to do a 90 minute boil don't do it, especially if you are going to do it to avoid DMS. Most Pilsner is well enough modified now that it is not necessary anyway. Just get a good strong boil for 60.

Pilsner has a markedly different taste than 2-row. You will be making a different beer by subbing in something with a much lighter and less intense flavor like American 2-row.

Go with the Pilsner and a 90 minute boil.

Badhabit, I don't believe modification has a real affect on SMM left in the grain, that's more a kilning aspect, correct me if I'm wrong...

Badhabit, I don't believe modification has a real affect on SMM left in the grain, that's more a kilning aspect, correct me if I'm wrong...

Believe me I am no chemist but...my understanding is that SMM is converted, hydrolyzed, to DMS in the Mash not in the boil. The boil then releases the DMS. If he is concerned about the DMS, as stated he is correct in being concerned about the boil. He would however get a little more melanoidin enhancement from the increased time in the boil.

You'll be much happier with the Pils. It will taste more authentic. As far as DMS , I think it's nonsense. A good strong boil for 60 - 90 minutes is fine .

The Belgian strong will benefit from the gravity/efficiency boost from 90mins anyway. The BGS I made with 17.5 lbs of pils came out very woodsy. Pale would not have given an equal product. And also...correct me if I am wrong but doesn’t pils end with a lower FG. Mine ended @ 1.008. I cant imagine pale ending that low even with the low long mash, high temps towards the end of fermentation and WLP550. I might be wrong here but I think it would have been a little more barleywineish.

You'll be much happier with the Pils. It will taste more authentic. As far as DMS , I think it's nonsense. A good strong boil for 60 - 90 minutes is fine .

X2, I boil everything for 60 minutes including Pils base beers (unless I need to boil down to hit OG), never get DMS. As long as you dont keep a lid over it and not a simmer, youll be fine.

The Belgian strong will benefit from the gravity/efficiency boost from 90mins anyway. The BGS I made with 17.5 lbs of pils came out very woodsy. Pale would not have given an equal product. And also...correct me if I am wrong but doesn’t pils end with a lower FG. Mine ended @ 1.008. I cant imagine pale ending that low even with the low long mash, high temps towards the end of fermentation and WLP550. I might be wrong here but I think it would have been a little more barleywineish.

Two Row Pale Malt and Pilsner/Lager Malt only have a one point difference in malt yeild potential. The final gravity is more effected by brewing efficency and fermentation.

Do not use 2 row in a belgian beer. Use the belgian malts. Also be sure to give a hearty wallop of biscuit malt...I wouldn't hesitate to use some 6 row malt as a filler to the base malts.

Good luck. You can use standard 2 row but the beer will have a very non belgian character. DMS is most noticeable in lager yeasts...Ferment the beer on the warmest end of the spectrum.

It will need at least 20 days in the bottle to taste good...but 90 days would be best.

Pale malt is sometimes used in Belgian beers. You could make a good Belgian golden ale with it but it won't taste like one made with pilsner. If you want the pilsner taste you need to use pilsner.

Back