PID Controller Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knuckleheadbrewing

Reaction score
I am running a RIMS system with a TDWK XMTA-8000 Temp controller (first pic.) The original temp probe with the system broke (the wire) and I replaced it with an Auber 4" probe (http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=20_15&products_id=246) with the deluxe quick release cable. Problem being, my original temp probe was only a 2 wire, and my probe is a 3 wire probe, I wired it up according to the diagram on the controller but when I run it with 3 wires my reading shows 1231 degrees and jumps around. If i use only 2 wires the temp drops to 60's but I cannot get it any higher then 62 desgrees.

My question, Does any one know if a way to reset this controller or how to calibrate it for the new probe? The only manuals I can find online are Chinese which doesnt help me much.

Hoping some one can help....

photo 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg

photo 3.jpg

Yeah I saw that as well, but it doesn't make sense that the back of the controller has a section to wire up an RTD probe on pins 14,15,16.....2 reds and 1 white. So I believe I have a correct prbe, but the device retains settings when there is no power going to it which means it has some sort of memory in it that I need to wipe/reset. Just clueless how to get it done..

If no one else chims in, i may just order another controller from Auber, whichever one they recommend for the probe I bought....Just hate to spend another $50-70 bucks when I know this one works and it's something dumb.

Do you have the model number? That would be the definite answer. Since your controller shows 1231 (type K 0C-1300C), and you mentioned 2 wires, it is probably expecting a thermocouple.

Typing your model number into google gave me THIS

Yes I have found that doc as well, but if you look at my pics, and compare to that doc it shows the XMTA-8000 to have 24pins and mine clearly has 16. So i do not believe that document is accurate, at any rate though it still shows 14,15,16 is for RTD

Lacking an English manual I would try to hack through the device's config menu and determine if you can reconfigure for an RTD by selecting a different temp input. Finding the "menu" can be hard - try holding down different combo's of the keys like "set" and "Up arrow", you might need to hold them for 3-5 seconds to activate a menu - if any - ... Good luck.

Lacking an English manual I would try to hack through the device's config menu and determine if you can reconfigure for an RTD by selecting a different temp input. Finding the "menu" can be hard - try holding down different combo's of the keys like "set" and "Up arrow", you might need to hold them for 3-5 seconds to activate a menu - if any - ... Good luck.

Yeah that is what I have been doing for a couple of days now....Still no luck...:tank:

It doesn't appear your unit is reconfigurable with respect to type of input and RTD parameters so the RTD you use must match the one you took out. One thing I notice with the manual is that the RTD is connected between terminals 14 and 15 whereas the diagram on the back of your unit shows it connected between 15 and 16. Try it both ways i.e. red to 14, white to 15 and 16 and red to 16 white to 14 and 15. No guarantees.

It doesn't appear your unit is reconfigurable with respect to type of input and RTD parameters so the RTD you use must match the one you took out. One thing I notice with the manual is that the RTD is connected between terminals 14 and 15 whereas the diagram on the back of your unit shows it connected between 15 and 16. Try it both ways i.e. red to 14, white to 15 and 16 and red to 16 white to 14 and 15. No guarantees.

Yeah I found some other material today, and was going to try this exact thing tonight when I get home....Otherwise guess i'm ordering a new controller.

If your old probe was/is a "J" or "K" type, they measure temperature where the two wires touch.

You can strip back your old probe wiring and twist the ends together and see what you get.

'da Kid

Latest posts

Back