Pictures of your Hop Babies/Hop Photo Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got one Nugget and two Centennial. All three sprouted within 24 hours of eachother a couple weeks back, but now Nugget has taken the lead and is the first to be trained onto the twine!:
Nugget_close_27APR08_web.jpg

Is that sisal you're using there? :)

A lot of the trellis and teepee designs I'm seeing look to be 10-12 feet tall. What's going to happen when the plant gets taller than that? My chinook is like 8 feet right now and I don't see it slowing down in the next 4 feet of growth. Do they just start draping down?

Check out my thread for a teepee idea that allows for much higher growth (12-20ft should be possible). Basically you need to plan ahead NOW with the twine you are training the bines onto, but the actual support doesn't need to be full height until needed. Since this is a first year plant I hope it gets tall enough to need an extension but I can't be sure. I think with a trellis people look to spread out the growth at the top (train horizontally). For those with a teepee setup I have no clue what the plant will do. I'd be scared it would break under its own weight from the wind/etc. if not supported all the way at the top.

I'll have to add some of my more recent pics to this photo thread as the cascade are really starting to take off.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=62558

We are supposed to have a bunch of warm weather later this week, so I should start seeing some growth on the Fuggles. They are finally starting to change a small bit each day.

my plants finally arrived today
3 cascade and 3 hallertau.
at 8.00 each including shipping i am glad they are well started

hop plants 001.jpg

hop plants 002.jpg

hop plants 003.jpg

A warm day can make a difference. We are supposed to be around the 80's through Sunday, so I should start seeing some substantial growth soon.

100_5995.jpg

Here's my best plant, this Chinook gets the sunlight first and grows the fastest of all 4 of my plants, although they're all starting to flourish a little.
chinook1bw3.jpg

For some reason, my other Chinook plant appears to have different shaped leaves....I wonder if it's just because it's young or if the LHBS sold me the wrong rhizome...
chinook3ln2.jpg

Anybody have any input?

For some reason, my other Chinook plant appears to have different shaped leaves....I wonder if it's just because it's young or if the LHBS sold me the wrong rhizome...
chinook3ln2.jpg

Anybody have any input?

Foonder I've seen the same thing. I am guessing that these rhizomes need as much light as possible and so the first leaves are designed to capture the most light (ie a large oval shape). My Nugget rhizomes have done exactly that with the later leaves having the more distinctive hop shape.

My fuggles are still in the lead (sorry about the poor pic quality...camera is dying)

100_2451s.JPG

Cascade starting to look ok...the one on the left got it's bine pinched or something on the sisal and died back...it is now growing "side bines" up. I guess I should left them continue and these become my main bines?

100_2452s.JPG

Centennial are still struggling. One growing..the other is still a dead stick (I think).

100_2453s.JPG

-JMW

I don't understand how you are getting cones so early. Is that normal in Florida?

Who knows, this is my first attempt at hop growing. I think that another HBT member in Orlando has got some cones too. I wanna say his name is ChrisDog? I think?

Not very. The Cascade is about 7 1/2 - 8 ft. The growth tip also has turned into a bud itself, so I'm convinced its done :rockin:

This makes me wonder if the timing of hop production really is dependent on the length of the day, etc. Obviously the days aren't getting shorter yet, or do things work differently in such a warm climate?

This makes me wonder if the timing of hop production really is dependent on the length of the day, etc. Obviously the days aren't getting shorter yet, or do things work differently in such a warm climate?
It seems very odd to me that those plants are flowering now. I have had plants go to flower when they shouldn't by screwing up the dirt pH.

It seems very odd to me that those plants are flowering now. I have had plants go to flower when they shouldn't by screwing up the dirt pH.

How exactly did you "screw" the dirt's pH?:D Really.

I have a mix between organic soil/peat moss/cow manure, that is all.

Wish my dog hadn't decided it was a good idea to eat my digital camera. I have a few plants growing that broke ground last week, kind-of excited. I started with just two, one Saaz and the the other Cascade. A friend of mine has 10 acres she wants me to plant a hops farm on. I decided I should try to grow a couple first...

I planted late, mid May. But now the cascade is about 2 inches above the ground and the Saaz about 1 inch.

The Rhizomes I got didn't look like many shown on the pages before. Where do you get such hearty rhizomes?

I had a little mixup with my Cascade and Nugget (see here) but overall 5 of my 6 rhizomes are doing very well. No love from the Chinook yet but I'm hoping.

I honestly can't remember how long ago I planted them, probably about 3 weeks or so. I need to replant in their permanent location soon but had to get them in some soil before the rhizomes died. I REALLY need to give that Mt Hood something to climb! Just getting into this so reading up on the board and learning as I go.

Any tips on cutting back or just let 'em go for the first year?

hops3.jpg

hops_mthood.jpg
hops_cascade.jpg

I'm not 100% sure what you mean when you say cut them back or let them go.

Once you get them permanently planted, pick 1 or 2 bines per plant to grow up your twine or whatever they're going to climb on.

Cut the remaining bines at the ground.

In fall when the growing season is over, cut all bines back to the ground and cover with mulch for winter.

I've been told to let any and all shoots grow without pruning the first year. then I've read to cut back all but the 3 strongest shoots.

I've been told to let any and all shoots grow without pruning the first year. then I've read to cut back all but the 3 strongest shoots.

I subscribe to the let anything and everything grow the first year, as long as they aren't damaged. You are limited in root development by the amount of photosynthesis that can occur from the leaves/bine itself. I do not understand the reason why you would limit the amount of sugar conversion from sunlight. Having more bines *may* limit the hop harvest the first year since you are artificially removing growing points, but there is no way it is better for the overall health of the plant. It's also possible you are limiting your total hop production since they can only produce a finite amount of hops per bine.

Damonic,

just get some small twigs a foot long or so and push them into the pots (being careful not to harm the rhizome underneath the surface) and train the bines around them. I'll have to finally get around to taking some new shots but basically my first year's were not growing much without support (they would get to 4-5" and maybe one would continue to grow which I could train once it got close enough to my twine). Once I started putting small twigs to train them starting at 3-4" they suddenly exploded.

I have a sneaky suspicion they have some "sensory-like" receptors on the bines that tell the plant to shunt growth to those bines that have a support. Those that don't pretty much stop growing.

I'm starting to get flowers! :ban: The Willammette and Cascade are going great and have grown past the height of the garage. I had to string them across the backyard to the house. Here's some pics.

The 2 Willamette (left) and 2 Cascade (right)
Hops June 1.jpg

The Cascade
Hops June 2.jpg

Close-up of Cascade bine and side arms
Hops June 3.jpg

A slightly blurry picture showing all the small hop flowers
Hops June 4.jpg

So we had a huge rain the last 2 days and when I went to my car this morning I noticed one of my cascade bines is now at the top of my 8' support. Because so many other's have not reached this height I'll be not adding any height to the support.

Do I train back down another support? Let it go on its own? Clip it at the top?

So we had a huge rain the last 2 days and when I went to my car this morning I noticed one of my cascade bines is now at the top of my 8' support. Because so many other's have not reached this height I'll be not adding any height to the support.

Do I train back down another support? Let it go on its own? Clip it at the top?

You need a bigger support.

Back