picobrew zymatic questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrshaund

Reaction score
Hello All,

Been a long time since I have posted, but with kids and work I just do not get the time that I use to have spending brewing. My 2 year old son is not as calm mannered as my daughters were. So I have been really thinking about trying this thing out come tax season so I was wondering can you use regular recipes in this thing? For the price tag does anyone else who owns it think it was worth it?

I really want to get back to brewing and this seems like the best option as of now.

Thanks

You can use most of your recipes, scaled down of course. You're limited in the hop additions you can (easily) do and theres an upper limit on the grain it can hold. I use mine to brew small batches before I brew the same recipe on my 10 gallon system.

I'm in a similar situation, not enough time to spend on a brew day. I just got my zymatic and I have to say it's a game changer for me. My active time on a brew day has dropped dramatically and it means that I can squeeze in a batch when I otherwise couldn't have.

I'd highly recommend checking out their kickstarter. for an extra $100 you get the zymatic and their new pico (my wife calls it the "keurig" for beer). Or keep an eye out on their kickstarter page they have been offering up refurb zymatics for $700 off. They come and go as they are available. Or check out their homepage, if you sign up for the "developer" program they give you 15% off stuff including the zymatic...

Looks like the Grainfather could be an option for me as well, appears to me atleast that has a bit more hands on to it.

I think that the grainfather has a nice product but it requires more involvement than the zymatic. How much time & interest you can have with your brew should determine your choice. From what I read the zymatic doesn't require any interaction between hitting go and the start of chilling. I think the grainfather requires you to lift the mash basket up after mashing and then do all of the hops additions by hand.

If I had 3 kids I would probably lean towards the more "set it and forget it" route and focus on recipe formulation and drinking, vs spending time waiting to add hops.

PicoBrew just released a much smaller 5L machine called the pico that is going for $599. That won't ship for a while, but it should at least be considered.

Back