Picobrew Z

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With the launch/announcement of the new picobrew product I figured we would need a new thread as there have been discussions between various other Threads.

There currently is a promotion that if you use another individual's code who has purchased a unit you can get $100 off for every person that buys it. The person buying a unit will also get $50 off. I would suggest asking another HomeBrewTalk member for a code before you purchase. I would be willing to split my $100 and give a member $50 back (either gift card or cash depending on how Picobrew dispenses the $100 discount) when their unit ships (when I would receive my discount).
My code is: KYTXK that you can use at checkout for $50 off immediately and again I would share $50 once it shipped.

Some other members have posted their codes, in all fairness I have consolidated some here for members to easily access:
DerekP: M3SFW
Jrb03: KYSNO
Macgyuver: KYW9Z
FreddyBrewger: M3RCT

ETA is July 2018 for the Z1 model, unknown ETA on Z2, Z3, or Z4

Information on the product is available here:
https://picobrew.com/Store/products/Z.cshtml

And the FAQ is available here:
https://picobrew.com/About/FAQ_Z.cshtml

I have opted to preorder the 5 gallon Z2 model and am hopeful for a shipping date in July!
View attachment 558000
Here is another (mine) code :KZ5NK

I ordered a Z2 and a Picostil. I wonder if they will ship both at the same time(summer time). Or if the Picostill will collect dust for a few months.

Now they’ve added a free PicoFerm to the offer if you order by March 15th.

Use my link for $50 off and I’ll split the $100 I get back with you if you decide to buy it. Just shoot me a message and confirmation and I’ll venmo or PayPal you. picobrew.com/Z?pbref=KYXY3

I haven't tried this code but saw it on the facebook group. Looks like a 10% code, so $150 off z1, $200 off z2, etc. Makes the big boy the cheapest yet!

picobrew10

Just ordered mine and cannot wait. My buddy has brewed over 200 batches on his Zymatic and convinced me it’s the way to go for test batches and variation to our more traditional brew sessions.

I plan on testing on this unit before scaling up to my 15-gallon rig. Plus it will give me the opportunity to play without breaking the bank or dedicating many hours to setup and tear down, with this it can be in while I focus my attention elsewhere. A bit expensive but the freedom to brew more often kinda outweighs that ;)

Here’s my code: PB2GP

save yourself $50 when you order. I save $100. High recommend!!’

I haven't tried this code but saw it on the facebook group. Looks like a 10% code, so $150 off z1, $200 off z2, etc. Makes the big boy the cheapest yet!

picobrew10
I can confirm the code works. I just ordered the Z2 and the code gave me $199 off, which is the same amount as the shipping. But I'll take it!
I have been in the market for a new system for a while now and have had paralysis by analysis with all the new electric set ups. I think the ability to do two different batches at once was what sold me on the Z2 (hopefully that is a reality). In the end, I am very very busy, and the ability to essentially set it and forget it really appeals to me. Although I am intrigued by the brew in a conical set ups...Maybe in 10 years when my kids graduate and I no longer have a million sports/school events to attend and/or I retire. Sadly no powerball for me.

Cheers!

Anybody know if we keep getting the $100 credit after the prices go up? I asked by email but got no reply.

It works the other way around. The Zymatic was always "brew your own" and the Pico used the (Keurig-like) Pico paks. The base Zs are like the Zymatic, "brew your onw" but you have an add-on to use the (Keurig-like) Paks, if you want.

Stefan
Thank you very much. I just wanted to make sure before i made my decision. I didn't know this was an option previously. I though it was like a K cup and you could only use their brand.

Thanks!

It works the other way around. The Zymatic was always "brew your own" and the Pico used the (Keurig-like) Pico paks. The base Zs are like the Zymatic, "brew your onw" but you have an add-on to use the (Keurig-like) Paks, if you want.

Stefan
What is the ‘add on’ for the use of Pico Packs for the Z that you speak of. Thanks.

What is the ‘add on’ for the use of Pico Packs for the Z that you speak of. Thanks.
Not sure whether it is a paid add-on or come with the machine, but somewhere along the line the Pico sales documentation made mention of also0 being able to brew using pico paks. Probably need to ask pico via [email protected] for any detailed questions

Not sure whether it is a paid add-on or come with the machine, but somewhere along the line the Pico sales documentation made mention of also0 being able to brew using pico paks. Probably need to ask pico via [email protected] for any detailed questions
I was under the impression the Z did Zymatic stuff, Pico packs, and Z packs as standard.

I just placed my preorder on Friday. Have there been any recent updates other than starting shipping in July?

I just placed my preorder on Friday. Have there been any recent updates other than starting shipping in July?

None that I've seen. Based on PicoBrew's relative silence around the Z and history with things like the PicoStill I'm worried that July may turn out to be a bit optimistic. Still though - fingers crossed.

On 5/17/2018 Doug over at Picobrew told me this "We are still aiming to begin fulfillment of the Z1s in July with the rest of the models beginning shipping shortly after." What "shortly after" means is anybody's guess at this point.

I got this in an email 10 days ago:

It's been a big month for Z with some big pieces coming together. We are still targeting having our first complete brewing units in final housings at the end of the month.

There were a bunch of other updates about the production process. They said the next update would come the second Friday in July.

I've always assumed my Z2 would come in the September/October timeframe.

On 5/17/2018 Doug over at Picobrew told me this "We are still aiming to begin fulfillment of the Z1s in July with the rest of the models beginning shipping shortly after." What "shortly after" means is anybody's guess at this point.

Shortly after January. Gut feeling is late November. Killing the U gave me a little bit more hope. Someone should probably be fired over that. Not a good idea to put out a 3rd Kickstarter when your existing open starter is a flaming disaster while still figuring out how to build the one that is supposed to be your flagship. I don't think they know what they want to be as a company. Direct to consumer/Shipping home brew supplies for the pico is not the same business model as supporting something like a $10K Z4.

None that I've seen. Based on PicoBrew's relative silence around the Z and history with things like the PicoStill I'm worried that July may turn out to be a bit optimistic. Still though - fingers crossed.
July 1 is awfully close [edit blown] and their last update still sounded like they are prototyping the design and have not finalized things like dialing in the control software. So we are either not getting these for a while or we are going to get something rushed and half baked. I'm holding onto my reservation just in case but I'm really tempted to just dump it and go to something like the 20 gallon brew-boss instead. So I can automate what I want and not worry about what their "minority investor" AB Inbev has planned for my expensive future paperweight when they decide to go picopack only. [Forgot about the last sentence in their last update. That means they are not even giving updates again until July 14. "
Expect to hear from us again with another update the second Friday in July. "]

Its not too late but its almost 6PM west coast second Friday in July and my spam folder doesn't have any Z updates in it. Where is that update on the product that was supposed to ship this month?

I got an update around 3:15 today....

Happy Friday, Z Crew!

Some great news to close out your work week: We have received the first new Z step filters from our plastics molding shop and they look fantastic!

There are still a few modifications left to improve quality and consistency (you might notice a few black marks drawn on the parts), but they look incredible for parts at this point in the process.

These are molded at the same facility in the same resin as our Pico Step Filters, and we’ve really been able to build on that knowledge base to get these more complicated parts out.

-zmB12i1SK230T5QEYSmbnx3NmlVcFpidYRJgugvNiV-oadqkQoq40tVLVrUediakCvSfzL380fbnXQfPhG9qDZ1WMn94zkiDvbN_BMjmFR7Mv3RgbSW0scfMV-heD0XBFyxCe-Y46v0pOEqlDtSUfnuXGRUyCURzWKLOUg=s0-d-e1-ft
We have a few modifications in process to the tool right now and are expecting the next tooling trial to come in next week. It’s a big tool, so it takes some time every time they pull it apart, so we batch the changes as much as possible.

The next revision has a particularly exciting update… PicoPak support directly in the Z step filter. Originally we were going to require a separate Pico Step Filter to run PicoPaks in your Z, but the engineering and brewing lab teams figured out a solution that will let them run in the Z Step Filter directly.

This means that when you have perfected your Z recipe and are ready to publish to BrewMarketplace, you’ll be able to test those packs directly on your Z with no additional equipment (e.g. Pico) required!

q7yYsebfPejLFqmC2TuxnZeLmoI-l_v1OH9-QpVAhDiWY8kpr99hgbFoZw_r56n11Q2DdQs42nYW-9yUD2B5HnlE73dfr05b754FGbuc__i1t-9flNZ3njfq50fCA3sXJkxLwvNW4-6ZhrPGLmo3MQpQIR8sIpUTBiDo9ag=s0-d-e1-ft
Speaking of brewing on the new Step Filter, while we wait for some parts required to get these fitted into the Z prototypes, our test manager rigged up some Franken-Pico setups where we have flow-matched everything to brew the first batches in the new Step Filter.
s3nWq1_TOv1mG5H5E8YFxpmfkA_PI7tITAgSvg3X6bzAD1BLyvvIrZQ4bMs4uxkF2KpNIzlrAurZFZgQlH1TCKzC0J14MvyjySZDs-eu2qBfjPtuQy_shEF1OgEFOlzdMp3hVc8hzU8XZkevePhTw_oNN_-8nu_nxV1vgRA=s0-d-e1-ft
Meanwhile, PCBs have been released for the first run and are in manufacturing right now. We hand assembled the first two for testing, and they will be going into the new sheet metal revision this week.

We’ve also done a major revision of the sheet metal which took a little longer than planned, but will make for a much better product and we decided it was worth the delay to get right. Same great looks, but a ton stronger and even easier to assemble and service. We have first parts for most of the components and will update you on a weekly basis with pictures and status.

While we are waiting for step filter and sheet metal parts, we’ve started pulling together all of the other internal components for the first 50 units so we can build them, get them into testing, and into your hands as quickly as possible.

On the software front, we’re cranking along with the new updated UI and recipe crafter. You can look forward to a much-improved UI on the machine, with a ton more advanced controls when you want them (or of course you can always still set-it-and-forget-it and let the program do its thing.)

OjHpYOjBKiMy6Q1lqBF-WBo8txLvmks9pa20F4ieLRqBA74DVXkAObkvzDPOVfXqY5wDZq8tjoy-BROx-LJsDl97DkS5onILatqLHFapckyw_zdTzTmrOPRDoRJ5azUDI64ttKXF7nTWrUcUm7iR06t5IvmtqWMO16q_3s4=s0-d-e1-ft
We’re still planning to get our first “golden units” working in house this month, and will update the overall schedule when we have the final sheet metal approved and final tool revisions of the step filter.

Be on the lookout for weekly email updates every Friday, so you can follow along with our progress. Lastly, thanks for hanging in there with us... the product is getting better every day and we are only more excited to get it out to you!

Cheers,
PicoBrew Crew

Yea, I got that same email and read it as "We're sorry, we are very far behind with design and testing, but here are some cool pics we hope will appease you"....and oh yea, be on the look out for another "we aren't shipping yet" email.

Yea, I got that same email and read it as "We're sorry, we are very far behind with design and testing, but here are some cool pics we hope will appease you"....and oh yea, be on the look out for another "we aren't shipping yet" email.

So they never deleted your epic Fatal Error list thread. God forbid customers of a $2K system - many with engineering and brewing backgrounds bypass the almighty Doug! "We are the only ones qualified to determine the exact issue with your unit and will make sure to get you back up and brewing as quickly as possible." Yeah whatever dude. I'm glad these guys overplayed their hands and saved me a good chunk of cash sitting in their account until early 2019.

Yea, Doug is not as bad as Kevin though, I've had long chats with Doug and he at least will listen. Kevin is just a crybaby and shuts down at the slightest rub on his ego.

And I see, from the images in the news release, that rather than fix the issue with the Mash screens, they are still using o-rings to hold it down. Doesn't make me feel good about the improvements on the Z series.

"...first customer devices to ship in August... the first delay..." One of many I imagine...

I got that email and was immediately drawn to this:

"Mechanical Engineer, Gordon, and Electrical Engineer, Justin, have been working extensively this week running brew tests with the Z1, making sure the brewing cycle and machinery are running smoothly and the electrical systems are protected from the machine’s high temperatures and moisture. "

I've been telling them since January that the Zymatic has issues with moisture and heat...they kept telling me it was a cleaning issue, but now they are making sure the Z series is "protected"....hmmmmmmm?

Anyone else worried that we've missed two Friday updates in a row?

Edit: And they sent out a GABF update two minutes after I posted this. Carry on.

Last edited:
"...first customer devices to ship in August... the first delay..." One of many I imagine...

"Mechanical Engineer, Gordon, and Electrical Engineer, Justin, have been working extensively this week running brew tests with the Z1, making sure the brewing cycle and machinery are running smoothly and the electrical systems are protected from the machine’s high temperatures and moisture. "

I've been telling them since January that the Zymatic has issues with moisture and heat...they kept telling me it was a cleaning issue, but now they are making sure the Z series is "

I've been telling them since January that the Zymatic has issues with moisture and heat...they kept telling me it was a cleaning issue, but now they are making sure the Z series is "protected"....hmmmmmmm?
wasnt it you who asked for more information about some of their testing ?? Banned boy lashes out again. Lol. Hey I just discovered the ignore option here. Woo hoo.

Latest posts

Back