Pico Brew Model C at Woot.com

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ironically that is the reason I registered to join HBT, to see what others where doing and learn some things. I did buy one of the units and brewed my 1st batch which is currently fermenting. What I received was just like new so no complaints, other than a ton of barely dust in the Pico pak because it was packaged upside down.

Looks like that woot deal on the Pico C was my gateway drug to get the still and jump in on the Pico U kickstarter, and hopefully the Z later this year

I see a lot of the dust like material in the packs that I get. At first I was kind of sceptical of it but now after watching a lot of YouTube videos from different full grain brewers I am under the impression that the dust could be a mixture of sugars and minerals added to increase ABV and make distilled water taste more like the water in the area where the original beer is brewed. I am not certain of this and it could very well be sugar from the grains. I also bought the PicoStill a few months ago and it is yet to even ship. Have you got your still yet?

I think the majority of the dust is DME (Dry Malt Extract), used to increase the amount of fermentable sugar so you can hit the target ABV. I do know they add minerals to the paks to treat the water though. The grains don't have sugars--they're loaded with starch, which is broken down into sugars by enzymes during the mashing process.

Latest posts

Back