Picnic Tap Problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jww9618

Reaction score
So I kegged my first batch about 5 weeks ago using the set it and forget it method. Kegerator is at 39* at 11 psi. I'm using a picnic tap with 5' of 3/16" beer line. The problem is that I'm getting way too much foam. When I fully open the picnic tap it kinda sputters and shoots out a lot of foam then beer. The beer seems to be carbed fine it's just that first sputter when I open the tap that's causing problems. Has anyone had this problem and what should I do to fix it? Would 10ft lines help this?

I don't know about the sputter, but I found that 10-12' of 3/16" beer line works great at about 40-50F and 10-13psi.

5' is pretty short. You can try adjusting your pressure down to ~5 lbs. when serving & see if that helps. Just remember to boost it back up to maintain proper carbonation. Also make sure the line is cold. If the line is warm & the beer is cold your going to get foam every time. Ultimately a longer line should fix your problem. Cheers!!!

My lines are kept in the kegerator and are cold. Not sure I want to turn the regulator to 5 psi every time I pour a pint. I'm looking for a more long term solution than that. Thanks guys for the responses.

My lines are kept in the kegerator and are cold. Not sure I want to turn the regulator to 5 psi every time I pour a pint. I'm looking for a more long term solution than that. Thanks guys for the responses.

The longer lines will fix the problem, I promise! My first system came with 5' lines also, and I found that foaming was an issue.

The only disadvantage to longer lines, if it can be called a disadvantage, is a slower pour so there isn't any reason to not go with the longer lines.

Thanks Yooper. I used a line length calculator to calculater the 5 feet and that's obviously not right. Thanks everyone for the help. I'm going to get 10 ft lines.

Back