Picked up some instant grits to sub for some flaked corn;worried about some of the other ingredients

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juno_Malone

Reaction score
I'm brewing a Citra cream ale tomorrow that calls for 3 pounds of flaked corn. The HBS was all out, but a quick google search suggested instant/quick grits as a good substitute. So I picked up a few boxes of instant grits from the grocery store, but after looking at the label, there is more in there than just corn (mostly vitamins/minerals for "enrichment"). I'm curious if any of these will be detrimental to the brewing/fermentation process:

• White Degermed Ground Corn (not too concerned about this one...)
  • Niacin
  • Ferrous Sulfate
  • Thiamin Mononitrate (Vitamin B1)
  • Riboflavin (Vitamin B2)
  • Folic Acid

If anyone has knowledge about any of these, it'd be much appreciated. Thanks!

Hmm apparently Ferrous Sulfate can cause metallic off-flavors at concentrations at or above 1.5-3 mg/L. Hopefully there's just a tiny amount in the grits...

You should be able to find some plain old stone ground corn meal in the grocery store. Just cook it up before adding to the mash.

Great, thanks for the reassurance everyone! Mash water is heating up as we speak.

Back