Picked up a Miller Home Draft Kit..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeavyBrew

Reaction score
Picked one up last night and dumped that piss down the drain, man I swear that's the worst miller I've ever smelled/tasted.

All you really have to do is break the tabs on the holder holding the co2 canister in and it works just like you would expect it. The only thing I think you have to be aware of is that when you pull the lever to dispense, pull it all the way and really fast. There's a bit of preload and if you half-ass it, you will definitely be spraying foam all over. Also the lever will click back into almost a lock position, even without putting the lock on. I've found if you just push it back all the way without it "clicking," you can leave it like that without a worry. It's nice to leave it in that position without trying to click it back and forth every time you want to pour one

I sanitized it and am going to fill it up with my beer for a bbq on saturday.:rockin:

I bought one of these last week. I'm trying to choke down the contents prior to Saturday, when I am planning to bottle (and refill this piggie) my imperial blonde ale, made from extract/kit from Brewer's Best.

I'm getting less help drinking this stuff than I would have expected. Perhaps I've "over- educated" my regular guests on craft brew and homebrew, but I digress...

Anyway, my purpose is three-fold:

1) to get a real sense of how many days of drinking at my casual pace will one of these things last. Since I'm often doing something else (mowing the yard, socializing on the deck, etc.) when I'm drinking, I don't really count how many servings I down. So I don't really know how long "16 12-oz. servings" will last at my house.

2) to compare this type of draft experience to my bottled homebrew experience. Same taste with less bottling hassle? Better/worse carbonation/head properties? Easier serving or taking up too much space in the fridge?

3) My brother will be sharing the bounty on Saturday, and will be "kegging" some in his TAB system. I want to see how similar the systems are - could they be used interchangably? Is the Miller Lite pig a more economical alternative to TAB, or just a marketing novelty? Is the Home Draft container/tap system durable enough for regular re-use?

I'm trying to decide whether to migrate to home draft pigs for all my homebrew (keep buying or acquiring these pigs), reserve this type of kegging for mobile units (for picnics and whatnot), or just scrap the whole idea. Nothing like practical experience to help the mind clarify and prioritize the relevant issues.

Back