Picked up a free smoker/grill trailer...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolfstar

Reaction score
Picked up a free smoker/grill trailer. It is very rough, though the cooking chamber is solid, the rest needs love. I dragged it home with one 16" tire having been flat for god knows how long...scared the sh*t out of the animals with the lid banging every time the flat part came down:(

I am actually thinking i want to use it as part of my patio grill setup...cut off the triler bits, sell the scrap, use the cooking chamber for home use. The metal on the chamber is mild steel, but thick (3/16). Not sure what this thing was in it's past life, but it looks to be about 150 gallons...So big enough to do anything I would want.

Pics tomorrow hopefully, I work Thursday through Sunday...so hopefully I can pull some time monday.

attached are pics...Needs some paint, some seasoning, and some love...It used to be a butane tank according to the very old rusty tag.

Thoughts? The metal is 3/16 thick btw.

FS.jpg

FS2.jpg

FS3.jpg

FS 4.jpg

FS 5.jpg

Dude, I think I hate you and don't even know you yet. I want one of your wolves.

Definitely more a bbq than a smoker. You could always mod it with a firebox.

Either way clean that bad boy up. Nice shiny paint, do some thing cool like metallic blue.

I was thinking bright red ! I like how small the trailer is and the oversized tires.. it looks cool !

So this is what we came up with...

A local machine shop will cut off the trailer bits, i don't really need a mobile grill/smoker. We are going to cut a hole in the bottom of the cooking chamber. The whole thing is going to be set in a masonry structure, which will house the firebox that will mate with the hole cut in the cooking chamber. We are going to weld steel plate onto the lid and the bottom portion of the cooking chamber mating points perpendicular to the steel walls. We are looking for better a better seal between the lid and the bottom part of the chamber.

In the big picture, we are working on a renovation project for our home...we are putting in a nice country style porch...hopefully this can be one of the draws...a nice big smoker/griller/fire pit...:D+++

BTW, this is a butane tank from 1947 my wife figured that out....

Well since you are getting things fabricated at a local machine shop, perhaps some counter weights for the lid would be a good idea. and, while you are at it make it a reverse flow smoker.

Back