Picked up a converted keg...now what

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psujeeperman02

Reaction score
A buddy of mine had to sell his homebrew equip and so I picked up his converted keg.

He only got as far as cutting a hole in the top of the keg and sanded the edges.

Anyway, I have a 20 gal SS BK. A coleman extreme cooler I use as a MT. And another 5 gal pot I use as a HLT.

Looking for suggestions as to what I should use the converted keg for?

I know lots of homebrewers who love using coolers for MTs. I have used mine for a few batches and really cant complain.
It would be nice to ensure that the mash is always at the intended temp...although I only lose maybe 1-2 degrees over 60 mins in the coleman.

I could install a ball valve in the keg and simply use it as a HLT, I guess...but kinda seems like a waste?

IDK....Im pretty much just thinking out loud here.... maybe you guys have some good suggestions for me.

Well being that your current HLT is really too small to work properly for anything but 3 gallon batches without multiple uses per brew session It seems the obvious choice here would be to use it as a hlt... You never did say what you brew size is but since you have a 20 gallon bk the most logical guess would be that you do brew 10 gallons at least from time to time..
in many setups the HLT is the largest vessel in order to be able to hold and treat all the water for your brew...

You likely wouldnt like the lip on the top very much when it comes to cleaning it if you used it as a MT honestly... and then you kinda need to insulate or buy a rims or another kettle for hlt/herms so...

Make the keg your HLT and get rid of the 5 gallon pot, or use it as a grant.

Back