Phil's False bottom for my kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

el_loco

Reaction score
Been using a 10 gallon Gott cooler as a mash tun with a SS false bottom. In my kettle I use a homemade 1/2" copper manifold with slots. The problem is that, in order to scavange as mush wort as possible, it uses a 90 degre elbow to send it from the bulkhead to the kettle floor. This makes it neccessary to remove the bulkhead and weldless fitting everytime I want to clean the manifold (PIA)

I'd like to use my domed false bottom in my kettle and just bazooka tube the mash tun since I'm batch sparging. Does anyone know if the SS false bottom will float/bounce around on the kettle floor, allowing trub and hops to get under it?

I have a false bottom from MB I use in my kettle sometimes. It doesn't move around but a small amount of hop matter sometimes gets through (on the sides is my guess). However, my biggest complaint is that the wort is harder to cool with an immersion chiller when the false bottom is in the kettle. The wort really needs to be recirculated via pump from under the false bottom. THis wouldn't be an issue with a cf or plate chiller.

question to OP- I'm thinking of putting a slotted manifold in my brew kettle to filter out hops etc... have you used it with pellets and whole leaf hops? I am wanting to get a comfort level that I wont get a clogging problem.

I am planning to just use a short piece of silicone tubing to connect a short stretch of 1/2' slotted copper coil to my valve. I figure that will make the connecting/disconnecting issue a non problem.

question to OP- I'm thinking of putting a slotted manifold in my brew kettle to filter out hops etc... have you used it with pellets and whole leaf hops? I am wanting to get a comfort level that I wont get a clogging problem.

I am planning to just use a short piece of silicone tubing to connect a short stretch of 1/2' slotted copper coil to my valve. I figure that will make the connecting/disconnecting issue a non problem.

+1 to this, I'm thinking of doing the same thing. Did you try it?

I'm looking to do the same thing now. I'm really curious about the pellet clogging issue. Not sure how I feel about silicone tubing. Williams Brewing sells thermoplastic tubing thats good up un to 275*F.

Back