Phils Belgian Dubbel hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tpaulsen

Reaction score
Hi Brewsters,
So I brewed up Phils Belgian as my first real brew, and I do believe I donked up the hops.
The recipe and instructions were:

For 5 gallons (18.9 L)
• 6.6 lb (3.0 kg) | Golden light liquid malt extract
• 2.0 lb (0.9 kg) | Golden light dry malt extract
• 1.0 lb (0.45 kg) | Premium Golden Belgian Candi Syrup
• 0.25 cup (59 ml) | maple syrup
• 2.0 oz (57 g) | Cascade hops, 5.75% alpha acid (60 minutes)
• 1.0 oz (28 g) | Cascade hops, 5.75% alpha acid (5 minutes)
• 2 pckgs | Wyeast 1214 Belgian ale yeast
• 5.0 oz (142 g) | corn sugar (to prime)
SPECIFICATIONS
• Original Gravity: 1.068
• Final Gravity: 1.012
• ABV: 7.5%
• Boil Time: 60 minutes

Bring 1 gallon (3.8 L) of water to a boil. Remove from burner and stir in extract, candi sugar and maple syrup.
Boil for a total of 60 minutes, adding hops as indicated in the recipe (the times listed are from the end of the boil). Strain into fermentor with 3 gallons (11.4 L) of cold water (note: DO NOT transfer hot wort into glass carboys).
Top up with cold water to make 5 gallons (18.9 L) total. When temperature drops below 75°F (24°C), pitch yeast.
Ferment for 10 days at 70°-72°F (21°-22°C) or until airlock activity ceases. If you have a second fermenter, rack to secondary fermenter and age 30 days. If you do not have a second fermenter, age another one to two weeks in primary before bottling.
Bottle with 5.0 oz (142 g) corn sugar.​

I used Palmers method of boiling with a smaller gravity (a boil gravity of 1.030), and when I checked the estimated IBUs using the utiliization calculation, but I did bad math, got 15 IBUs (used litres instead of gallons) and did the brew. So I used 2oz 7.3% cascades for 60min, and 1oz 7.3 cascades for 5 min, using 1.030 boil gravity.
When I checked the math again (after the fact), and used the correct calculation, it ended up being around 60 IBUs for the Belgian Dubbel.

Just how hoppy will this beer be, considering its a OG 1.068 malty beer? Will i need to keep it for more 30 days in the secondary to help even off the bittering hops?

Back