Philly sour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Wyatt

Reaction score
So im attempting my first berliner weisse and I have a few questions. So with me using philly sour does this eliminate the kettle souring process as well as pitching another yeast?

Yes, that's kind of the point of the Philly Sour strain. It sours and does the "primary" fermentation (i.e. alcohol production).

Yes, that's kind of the point of the Philly Sour strain. It sours and does the "primary" fermentation (i.e. alcohol production).
Ok my next question...Is my grain bill suitable for this kind of beer...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201221-080217_Brewfather.jpg
    Screenshot_20201221-080217_Brewfather.jpg
    354.1 KB · Views: 71
Ok my next question...Is my grain bill suitable for this kind of beer...

How traditional do you want to be? Berliner Weisse grists are typically just pilsner malt and wheat malt, with at least 50% being wheat. That said, it sounds like you're planning to use Philly Sour (not traditional) and Peaches (not traditional), and the grist in your recipe should make a fine beer.

How traditional do you want to be? Berliner Weisse grists are typically just pilsner malt and wheat malt, with at least 50% being wheat. That said, it sounds like you're planning to use Philly Sour (not traditional) and Peaches (not traditional), and the grist in your recipe should make a fine beer.
I guess I'm not going full traditional but using that as my base to experiment with some things. Like I said this is my first sour so im pretty much winging it.

Also one more question for a 5.5 gallon batch should I pitch 1 or 2 packs? I have heard mixed reviews on this.

I saw the same thing, but I chose to pitch only 1 in my first batch and got 76% attenuation. I'm waiting to see how the second turns out.

I had 85% attenuation when pitching two sachets in 5 gal. I used a tilt to log the readings. It chewed through all sugar from my grape additions quickly too!
How did everything turn out taste wise?

The taste was fantastic! Nice tartness, but not overly sour. The grapes really shined, super juicy. It’s like tart grape juicy juice and over 6%abv!
Nice. I just bottled mine last night so ill keep a update on how it comes out.

One pack here and Ph was onpoint with a perfect ammount of sour. Any more and mine would have been less plesent. I did raspberry sour. There was a great thread on this and another user shared an awesome recipe with me!

I've brewed six batches now with Philly Sour and also pitched one pack per batch. Final PH of these batches have been between 3.06 and 3.14 so quite perfect for my taste. The attenuation has been 80-81% with one exception. I only got 74% attenuation from Gose I brewed two months ago. I suspect that salt addition caused a bit lower attenuation. Anyway, I love Philly Sour and highly recommend it

Back