Quantcast

Philly sour

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Mr.Wyatt

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So im attempting my first berliner weisse and I have a few questions. So with me using philly sour does this eliminate the kettle souring process as well as pitching another yeast?

VikeMan

It ain't all burritos and strippers, my friend.
Reaction score
Yes, that's kind of the point of the Philly Sour strain. It sours and does the "primary" fermentation (i.e. alcohol production).

VikeMan

It ain't all burritos and strippers, my friend.
Reaction score
Ok my next question...Is my grain bill suitable for this kind of beer...
How traditional do you want to be? Berliner Weisse grists are typically just pilsner malt and wheat malt, with at least 50% being wheat. That said, it sounds like you're planning to use Philly Sour (not traditional) and Peaches (not traditional), and the grist in your recipe should make a fine beer.

OP
Mr.Wyatt

Mr.Wyatt

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
How traditional do you want to be? Berliner Weisse grists are typically just pilsner malt and wheat malt, with at least 50% being wheat. That said, it sounds like you're planning to use Philly Sour (not traditional) and Peaches (not traditional), and the grist in your recipe should make a fine beer.
I guess I'm not going full traditional but using that as my base to experiment with some things. Like I said this is my first sour so im pretty much winging it.

OP
Mr.Wyatt

Mr.Wyatt

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Also one more question for a 5.5 gallon batch should I pitch 1 or 2 packs? I have heard mixed reviews on this.

Sessionz

Reaction score
I saw the same thing, but I chose to pitch only 1 in my first batch and got 76% attenuation. I'm waiting to see how the second turns out.
I had 85% attenuation when pitching two sachets in 5 gal. I used a tilt to log the readings. It chewed through all sugar from my grape additions quickly too!

Lurker

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
One pack here and Ph was onpoint with a perfect ammount of sour. Any more and mine would have been less plesent. I did raspberry sour. There was a great thread on this and another user shared an awesome recipe with me!