PH on Kombucha

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArturoNovoa

Reaction score
Hi Guys!
I just bought a PH tester and I couldn't find appropriate data about what is the best ph for every step in the process. If you have any hint or book to recommend I would really appreciate it!
Thanks!

When starting a batch, aim below 4.2 pH. Everything above 4.2 pH is at risk of infection or failure.

Finished Kombucha is 2.5 to 3.5 pH. Aim towards 2.5 pH if you like it part and tangy. Aim towards 3.5 if you like it sweeter.

Hey! Thanks for your reply!
I am having a problem with my last two batches.
One of the batches has 3 days of fermentation and the ph is 3.2 and taste really acid
The second one has 6 days of fermentation the ph is 3.1 and taste like Vinegar.

What am I doing wrong?

One of my theories is that the last kombucha we made we fermented just for 5 days and the Scoby was not completely formed. It was a great flavour but it might affect the SCOBY for the next fermentation.
What do you think?

Thanks for your help!!

Sounds like you have good kombucha. Sounds like you like sweet kombucha and don't like tart tangy vinegary kombucha. You can add a little sweet tea until the pH rises to 3.5.

How much sugar are you using in relation to water and tea?

I think your theory is incorrect. Where in the world are you? is it hot there?

Last edited:
I am using 1.2 L of water, 4 black tea bags, and 1/3 cup of brown sugar.

I am in Australia. It is hot. over 30 Degrees every day. But I keep the kombucha in a piece of furniture with a door. at a corner of my room. With no direct sunlight.

Your recipe is normal.

However, your kombucha is fermenting in an environment that is too hot. That is why it is only taking 5 days.

A better temperature range is 21-24C.

Higher temperatures will produce undesirable flavors.

Back