PH Meter Probe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

centralpabrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Hanna Instruments PHep5 PH meter that I bought 4-5 years ago. I believe it is time to replace the probe as it takes a very long time to get it to calibrate now. A new probe is about $60. Is it worth getting a new probe? Or should I look at another model PH meter? Is there a better, cheaper model that I should look at?

Thoughts?

i was going to brag about my Milwaukee MW-101. But i paid 65 with shipping back in 2013 for it, they want 100 now? anyway i'd go with manual calibration. i had a auto one that wouldn't calibrate after a short time. since i got this one it's got two dials i turn with a jewelry screwdriver, works great for at least 5 years now, same probe!

edit: DAMN! i got the urdge to calibrate it since i haven't done it in about 7 months and i brew every week...got my screwdriver out, poured my solution, the 7 read at 6.98, not worth turning the dial...and 4 read at 3.99 no need to turn the dial for it either! not sure what a slope is but i'd say that's pretty good...

and honestly, i just store the probe in tap water too, lol...

Last edited:
and honestly, i just store the probe in tap water too, lol...
3N (sometimes 4N) KCl is the preferred storage solution for pH probes. Short of that you're better off storing the probe in (used) pH4 buffer solution. At least that's what my meter's manufacturer suggests.

Reason not to use water is that ions will migrate out of the probe, over time. I'm surprised your probe still works as well as it does using regular water. Props to Milwaukee!

3N (sometimes 4N) KCl is the preferred storage solution for pH probes. Short of that you're better off storing the probe in (used) pH4 buffer solution. At least that's what my meter's manufacturer suggests.

Reason not to use water is that ions will migrate out of the probe, over time. I'm surprised your probe still works as well as it does using regular water. Props to Milwaukee!

3N? do you mean 3M? i think normality is just for acids/bases and amount of H+ ions it can donate, or some poop like that? not sure on that though?

And i did store it in my ph 7 cal solution for a few years...maybe i'll go back to that...But the reason i stopped is the solution is expensive. if you say a 3M KCl would work i actually buy 5lb bags of it for mixing up 'lite salt' for cooking...

3N? do you mean 3M?
Sorry, yes, 3M (3 Molar).

The correct storage solution actually depends on the probe, but AFAIK, 3M (or sometimes 4M) KCl is most common for pH probes. Look in your instruction manual to be sure.

If your "lite salt" ingredient is indeed 100% KCl, that should work fine. I got mine from AlphaChemicals.

Last edited:
Sorry, yes, 3M (3 Molar).

The correct storage solution actually depends on the probe, but AFAIK, 3M (or sometimes 4M) KCl is most common for pH probes. Look in your instruction manual to be sure.

If your "lite salt" ingredient is indeed 100% KCl, that should work fine. I got mine from AlphaChemicals.

ok, sounds good! and my Potassium Chloride i get off ebay and it's sold as food grade...

Thanks for the tip! i'll whip up a liter, and change my solution now...maybe i'll get ANOTHER 5 years out of this probe, :)

Back