pH meter - has anyone found one that lasts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YeastFeast

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm looking for pH meter for $200 or less that won't die (unable to calibrate, etc) after a handful of uses.
I'm had 2 Milwaukee pH 56 so far (one a warranty replacement) and they've both stopped working after a handful of uses.
I've stored them in the proper solution and handled it with care so not sure what else I could have done.
Thanks!

pH probes are a wear-out item, and need to be replaced periodically. Therefore you should look for a meter with replaceable probes, otherwise you are looking at replacing the whole unit.

Brew on :mug:

pH probes are a wear-out item, and need to be replaced periodically. Therefore you should look for a meter with replaceable probes, otherwise you are looking at replacing the whole unit.

Good advice. I'm seeing most probe warranties are 6 months. Any guesses how long a probe SHOULD last under proper care?

Good advice. I'm seeing most probe warranties are 6 months. Any guesses how long a probe SHOULD last under proper care?

4 years, in my experience. Also, here's a pH probe I recommend. The replacement electrode is not cheap ($44), but you gotta pay to play.
1648933278622.png

Depends on the junction construction and how well you take care of it. Testing hot wort will shorten the life of most probes. A properly cared for, quality probe should last a year or two.

Not used it yet but just bought a kegland meter for about £30. New probes also available. Seems pretty sturdy.

I picked up a milwaukee 102 over a year ago, no issues and really fast. I drop it right into my mash as it's high temp capable up to 105C.

Haha! There is a difference between can and should. In addition, the manufacturer does not say that it can handle 105C. The max they recommend is 70C and again there is that "can and should" argument. Anything over room temperature does eventually fatigue and break the glass bulb.

With respect to pH probes, I have to say that the SE220 probe used for the MW-101 and 102 meters is quite durable. I've had to replace my probe once in the 10+ years I've had it. Gel-filled and double-junction pH probes are inherently more tolerant of abuse and use.

While I think that Milwaukee makes pretty good equipment, I'd stay away from the PH56 and ANY pH meter that has that 'all in one' construction. ONLY get meters that have a separate meter unit and corded pH probe, like the MW-101.

Thank you for all of your responses so far!

Just came across this, is anyone familiar with a flat surface refillable electrode? It seems like this would solve a lot of the problems that the non-refillable electrode meters have??

http://www.extech.com/products/PH110
Here's part of the description on it:

PH110: ExStik® Refillable pH Meter
Unique pH stick meter with rugged refillable flat surface pH electrode
Now you can test pH on the spot easily and accurately with the ExStik® PH110 Waterproof pH Meter. The durable ExStik® meter features a flat surface refillable electrode for measuring pH in liquids, semi-solids, and solids – no more electrode breakage or clogged junctions. Since you can refill the ExStik® quickly, you won't need to worry about the shelf life of its electrode.

I've had the Apera linked above for about a year and have been happy with it. If I ever need to replace it will likely go with the M102

If I ever need to replace it will likely go with the M102
never used the MW102, but prefer manual calibration...don't need to count on it to guess what solution it's testing, which i've had trouble with...

just whip out a jewelery screw driver, put the probe in the solution, and dial it in for both 4.1 & 7....works great....

I've had an Apera for a probably going on close to 5 years. Available on Amazon as are replacement probes. I broke a probe due to overly aggressive drying, now I just blow as much distilled water off as I can an put it back in the storage solution.

I really don't use it much anymore since switching to RO water. I find my mash pH to be consistently very close to what Brewfather estimates, so I adjust with lactic acid if Brewfather indicates a high pH and run with it.

I worked in the chemical industry for 45+ years in R&D labs and used / destroyed numerous pH meters. The best (relatively inexpensive) one I found is by Myron L, specifically the Ultrapen PT2. It lasts a long time and holds its calibration real well. It also has a replaceable probe tip so you don't need to replace a whole meter.
Handheld / Portable Instruments | Myron L® Company

The best (relatively inexpensive) one I found is by Myron L, specifically the Ultrapen PT2.

The Hanna Halo pH 'pen' is a unit similar to the Ultrapen. But both are pretty pricey. The Ultrapen is going to run you $200 to buy and the replacement pH probe is $100. I really like using the Halo unit and its phone app. Great unit, but at around $250 with no option to replace the probe, it might be costly.

The cost of ownership and operation for these units may be higher than a hobbyist wants to go. Compare that to $100 purchase for the MW-101 and replacing the probe is $40.

These days a cheap pH pen should be accurate enough for home brewing. The more money spent the quicker measurements stabilise generally. Although rarely 10 times quicker. It makes more sense to spend more on calibration buffers, probe cleaner and storage buffer.

I'm still curious about refillable electrodes (e.g. like the Extech PH110). Does anyone have experience or have an opinion as to whether this would solve the problem of replacing electrodes?

These days a cheap pH pen should be accurate enough for home brewing. The more money spent the quicker measurements stabilise generally. Although rarely 10 times quicker. It makes more sense to spend more on calibration buffers, probe cleaner and storage buffer.
I agree. I used to work as a calibration technician and have worked with many lab grade pH meters. Beyond response time and the ability to read out to 0.001 there wasn't a huge difference between those and my $80 meter. I still use buffer solution I had from when I was a technician and my meter would have passed calibration just as well as many I saw out in the field haha. Proper care/storage is key for pH meters.

Hi,
I'm looking for pH meter for $200 or less that won't die (unable to calibrate, etc) after a handful of uses.
I'm had 2 Milwaukee pH 56 so far (one a warranty replacement) and they've both stopped working after a handful of uses.
I've stored them in the proper solution and handled it with care so not sure what else I could have done.
Thanks!
I've been using the same Extech PH100 for almost 7yrs. The Extech meter has a cap with a tiny sponge at the bottom. I keep this wet with storage solution. I've started measuring pH at mash temp, which is hard on the probe, so replacing the probed for the first time today.

I cool hot samples down to about 25°C before measuring. Even with ATC onboard. Using shot glasses stored in the freezer, and after clearing the tun tap to get a representative sample, it takes about 30 seconds for the hot sample to reach room temperature. This might be one reason why my cheapish ($30) pH pen still measures with reasonable accuracy after several years. Touch wood!

I have used the pen-style bevdoctor pH meter for a few years now with no issue, however it just started giving questionable readings my last brew day. It is definitely past due for a probe replacement. I ended up deciding to go with a nicer Apera meter and will report with back my first impressions once it comes in and gets a proper break-in.

https://aperainst.com/ph850-portable-ph-meter-kit
Edit: Just saw your budget from the op! Initial investment is an important factor, but keep in mind the cost of replacement probes and their lifespan when deciding. I went a little higher end this time for that reason.

Last edited:
I cool hot samples down to about 25°C before measuring. Even with ATC onboard. Using shot glasses stored in the freezer, and after clearing the tun tap to get a representative sample, it takes about 30 seconds for the hot sample to reach room temperature.

Cooling your wort samples is a good idea on many levels.

I used to use frozen shot glasses to chill my wort samples, but the problem with that method is that there's no way to stop the chilling and it's possible to undershoot the wort temperature. I went to stainless steel shot 'glasses' that bathe in ice-water. A few swirls of the shot glass in the bath is typically enough and when I see that the temp is getting down to target, pulling it from the bath keeps it from undershooting.

Back