pH Meter dried out.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biscuits

Reaction score
Someone please assure me that I did not just ruin my pH meter?!?! I have a Milwaukee-Martini Instruments pH 55 and I have been storing it in 4.01 solution while not in use. I haven't brewed in a while so it kind of got neglected, although, I topped it up probably not more than a week ago, but today I checked on it and it was bone dry. Am I doomed? I filled it back up with purified drinking water because it was more easily accessible at the time and I have been burning through that 4.01 solution pretty rapidly. Is everything okay? Am I just overreacting?

That probe should be stored in a saturated KCL solution not 4.01 calibation soln.

asset-get.product.image-en.jsa

You can check the meter for reading stability over time, recording both pH and temperature to assess the probes efficacy/stability.

All else is opinions and guesswork.

It said in the instructions to store it in 4.01 or drinking water..or storage solution

OK. Then your good. I defer to the manual. Sorry for the misinformation. I was thinking of the MW102

Just a FYI.

The MW 55 is pooly suited to brewing.

It lacks an appropriate resolution. (0.1)

Have you tried calibrating or taking any readings yet? I let the probe on my Hanna meter get dry for a while, and the readings took a really long time. Once I soaked it in storage solution for a while it seemed to work just fine again.

OK. Then your good. I defer to the manual. Sorry for the misinformation. I was thinking of the MW102

Just a FYI.

The MW 55 is pooly suited to brewing.

It lacks an appropriate resolution. (0.1)

I know...I just didn't have the budget for the 102 and I figured something was better than nothing.

Have you tried calibrating or taking any readings yet? I let the probe on my Hanna meter get dry for a while, and the readings took a really long time. Once I soaked it in storage solution for a while it seemed to work just fine again.

No, mainly because I don't have anything with a known pH I can test it with. Although, I suppose if it calibrates, it should be fine?

I let my pH55 dry out and assumed it was toast, so I got a MW102. I rehydrated the pH55 and at the moment, after calibration, it and the MW102 track together. Bottom line, I think it is likely your pH55 will be okay.

Back