PET bottle cap question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alimacoz

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Do you have to use new bottle caps on pet bottles every time? And if so do you cut the bottom safety seal off the bottle before you put the new caps on?

May sound like a daft question but I was thinking about it earlier on.

it's been a while since i used PET bottles, but I reused the caps I think and it worked fine (99% sure I did anyway). Getting a good seal is what's important.

via Wikipedia: Daft is an Old English-derived word for silly, stupid, or mad, depending on context.

Example: "Don't be a daft prick and go off topic".

I appreciate the help & let me see if I got this right:
Example: "If you told me my beersmith recipe is 288 IBU, but neglected to add malt, you'd be daft to flame me for asking what daft meant."

As for the PET caps, leave the bottom portion on! Safety first! Skadoosh!

You sure can reuse the caps! But I've seen complaints that the threads wear out after you reuse them a fair number of times though. I've also seen a post of a guy complaining that his Mr Beer bottles started bombing for seemingly no reason after 5 uses. I guess the overall idea is you though replace PETs every once in a while.
You can simply snap the seals off the new caps before you put them on if you like, rather than prying the old one off the bottle with a knife. The 'seals' are only for tamper evidence and don't actually play any role in forming a seal. Looks professional though :p

Example: "If you tried to told me my beersmith recipe is 288 IBU, but neglected to add malt, you'd be daft to flame me for asking what daft meant."

Did I get that right?

You're right, it was a mere 272 IBU after adding malt.

Back