Perry, not pear cider, Perry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kitchenboy

Reaction score
I have been making cider for 30 years, but I have never made perry. I want to try. We don't grow pears, here in Vermont. The pear concentrate from brewers supply outfits is really expensive. I can get Qts of baby food pear juice with only ascorbic acid added pretty cheap. Does anybody have any juice suggestions and any info on yeast, additives, etc.

I used baby food pear juice before. I didn't use any additives, and I think I just used a neutral ale yeast. It was okay. I bet adding extra pears to secondary, or backsweetening would have given it more pear flavor.

Actually thinking back, I may have added a little jar of pears in secondary, but that was before I understood how to add fruit when brewing, and realizing that it takes more than just a little bit.

I made some decent Perry last fall, from pears obtained at Amish farms near Lancaster, PA and from some Kiefer pears from my own tree.
I used 5 different varieties. I used white wine yeast, no nutrient, fermented in the low 60's.
The pear flavor is very faint. Its has much lower acid (didn't measure) compared to the cider I can make from the apples around here.
I sometimes drink it on its own, but more likely blend it with cider that
may be a little too tart/acidic.
I would suggest getting some gallon jugs and try fermenting 3 quart batches of the different kinds of commercial pear juice you can get at the supermarket.
Pears can be grown in Vermont, check around your local orchards and farmer's markets in the fall.

Pears can be grown in Vermont said:
In 20 years I have never seen local pears in any market, farmer's or otherwise. After some research I discovered that there are a few producers that sell at the orchard and two pick-your-own. I'll try some small baby food batches now and wait for fall. Thanks for the advice.

I want to say that without the correct ingredients, i.e. the numerous Perry varieties, one can duplicate the process, but the end product won't resemble true perry. Sort of like trying to make good cider using delicious apples, or a variety even more insipid.

The reason you might never see pears is because they tend to go soft so quickly, so many of them might not be "marketable". Such "seconds" and other "windfalls" would be PERFECT for making perry, if you can find them. If you ask around at your local apple orchards, look for a response like "well, we have a couple pears out back but we don't sell those anymore..." With a little luck you may be able to pick your own real cheap. Ask if you can buy their seconds and windfalls of pears if they have any. Most won't, but a few might.

I recently made a pear wine from some pears picked from a tree on my father in laws land. It actually turned out pretty nice. I don't now what kind of pear tree though. I do live in south Mississippi, so whatever variety that may be. I do know that they are frequently used for canning. I am willing to bet they would make a decent perry.

I want to say that without the correct ingredients, i.e. the numerous Perry varieties, one can duplicate the process, but the end product won't resemble true perry. Sort of like trying to make good cider using delicious apples, or a variety even more insipid.

Please keep in mind that "the perfect is the enemy of the good." Most of us do not have the time or the resources to pursue the perfect anything. Most of us will not win any prizes. We try to make the best we can with what we have at hand. If we can come up with a product that is enjoyed by our families and friends, then we have succeeded. Perfect or not.

My Perry isn't going to win any awards, I used eating pears, not the "correct" perry pears. But now that I found a source that has several different varieties they sell as seconds, I'm planning on making some more next year, its a pleasant drink on its own or as a blending agent. I may even plant some actual perry pear trees.
The original posting mentioned the expense of buying commercial
pear concentrate. I looked on line and it seems pear concentrate for wine is $45 plus shipping for a 5 gallon batch. $10 a gallon for material costs is pretty cheap, that comes out to $2 for a 750ml bottle.
I probably have $10/gallon in my pear cider if I add up the cost of the pears and the gas to drive out to the orchard. It also took a lot of time to find the pears, wash, grind and press and clean up the equipment.

Latest posts

Back