Perplexed about Pilsner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badhabit

Reaction score
I've been using a lot of pilsner malt lately trying to learn more about how to use it best. I have noted that no matter how I treat the mash I seem to loose some of the malt flavor as I condition. When the beer comes out of the fermenter the flavor is great but then after conditioning I am loosing some of the malt flavor. It is still good, but better when it is first out of the fermenter. I am consistantly keeping my IBU's low and using very little finishing hops. (1/2 oz German N. Brewer 10.9% at 60 and 1/2 oz at 5) My inital thought was that I was just picking up more of the bittering over time but I am not convinced that is what is happening, there just isn't all that much hop flavoring to start with. I have only bottled these beers, havent kegged any so don't know if that would make a difference. I am going to try stiring up the yeast on the bottom of the bottles a couple times and see if it is the yeast that I am tasting but that makes no sense to me as that does not seem to be the flavor I taste first out of the fermenter. Anybody have any thoughts about what is happening?

What yeast strain are you using? Just like with ale yeasts, some finish very clean and others are better at bringing out malt flavors.

Also Carbonation levels also affect how well the malt is perceived. Perhaps the carb. levels are too high. Pour a beer and let it sit for a while, or pour a very foamy beer and then try it when the foam settles.

I'm using WLP036 which is my go to for all my Alts. I use it a lot and have always found that it enhances the malt profile. I am going to try letting a bottle get a little flat and see what that is like. It's a good suggestion, one I hadn't thought of and one that makes good sense. If the carbination is the issue maybe I will try adding a little Vienna or even Melanoidin and see what happens. My sense is that adding more pilsner will enhance SG more than malt profile. Any other thoughts?

Back