Permits and Licenses for a Tasting Event

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pugs13

Reaction score
Hey guys, I know that all this permit and license stuff depends on the state you live in. However I thought that I would just see if anyone had any input or could help me out. My buddy and I are obviously home brewers aspiring to get into the game a little more heavily with possibly emerging into a micro-pub which would be one day merging with my dream of owning an Irish pub. Anywho, our city does a wine and beer taste testing even every year and so I thought this would be a great opportunity to get some of our beers out there and what we offer...does anyone know if we need permits or licenses to give out samples at an event such as this since no money is involved...The event planner had no clue as he always just has our local distributor bring in beers...He told me to maybe ask the distributor to see if they could point me in the right direction with this...thought before I did that I would try my luck on here first...Thanks guys!

I've helped coordinate City Pages Beer Fest in Minneapolis a couple of times.

I volunteer with a non-profit group and we pull the liquor license from the city of Minneapolis for the whole event each year (as well as Oktoberfest along St. Anthony Main, a couple of different wine tastings, and others throughout the year).

It's a set-price entry fee and then the samples are given out to patrons with no cash changing hands inside the venue.

Our volunteers pour the samples in each of the booths and the brewery folks are there to answer questions about their beers. We do that more for liability since my volunteer organization has all of the liability should something happen to violate the liquor license.

I don't know the requirements for your specific event -- we've never had any special requirements for the breweries we've had come -- but they weren't homebrew, either.

hmm...that is cool...I will have to look more into it and see what I can come up with. The thing is that this event is very very small and we would'nt even have that much to bring for sampling maybe just over 100 bottles...so we will see...like I said I will have to just delve a little deeper into it. Thanks though for the insight...

As usual, depends on the state laws for tasting. Here in CA, I noticed a funny thing. At winter brews fest, a lot of regular brewers were pouring. So was the local homebrew club. The club, however, had to pour into a plastic cup rather than the glass taster cup you got for entering the fest. They said it was part of the homebrew regulations thing.

I think here in Michigan you have to be FDA approved to serve at an event. At least that's what someone told me when I was thinking about signing up for a local festival so who knows if it is really accurate. Not sure how it is in other states

I know that a place in Michigan hosts an annual homebrew appreciation day. There is a lot of homebrew shared between the people. You buy a ticket and have access to the games, food, and drinks. It's almost all homebrew (one or two brewers brought stuff to sample once). PM me for more info. You might be able to get some advice from him.

I suspect that the laws regarding whether homebrew can be served AT ALL, depends on the state. Some places won't even allow you to homebrew, and others don't allow you to remove from your own premises.

Do you have any more info on where/when this appreciation date takes place?

I know that a place in Michigan hosts an annual homebrew appreciation day. There is a lot of homebrew shared between the people. You buy a ticket and have access to the games, food, and drinks. It's almost all homebrew (one or two brewers brought stuff to sample once). PM me for more info. You might be able to get some advice from him.

I suspect that the laws regarding whether homebrew can be served AT ALL, depends on the state. Some places won't even allow you to homebrew, and others don't allow you to remove from your own premises.

i don't think asking distributors about homebrew is a good idea.they don't like the competition

At this stage I would not consider ourselves competition...I think it would be fine...it's all in how you word it...

I think that although you may not see yoursevles as competition the distributors may
In my experience they tend to be fiercely protective

Do you have any more info on where/when this appreciation date takes place?

Yep, it's put on by Siciliano's Market each May. I thought I posted in the events forums, but I guess I didn't!

Anyway, they said they will try to have it put on their website: Sicilianosmkt.com this week, and it's up on their facebook page Siciliano's Market Facebook Page.

Here's the Nutshell:

Seminars are on Friday the 13th at the FOP Hall on Alpine starting at 6PM. The cost is $5 to attend the seminars and the speakers include:

Someone from Vivant Brewery
Someone taking about Beekeeping
Someone talking about Breadmaking
Someone from Siciliano's Market talking about yeast
Jeff Carlson, a well known local cidermaker
and someone from Sam Adams again this year.

The seminars are WELL worth the $5 even if they didn't hand out samples, which they have done at least the past 2 years. Last year Sam Adams contributed a bottle of Utopias for the BOS winner!

On Saturday the 14th the Party at Townsend Park in Grand Rapids (Cannonsburg, actually) begins at 11am. I'm guessing, based on previous experience, that there will be PLENTY of homebrew beer, wine, and cider, plus food and games and possibly some door prizes. The cost is $35 and well worth it hang out with other homebrewers and drink their beer. The Homebrew Competition winners will be announced then as well, and you can pick up your scoresheets if you like.

All in all a great time!

I called and let them know the website was not updated and honestly I couldn't even find the event on their facebook page, even though Steve said it was on there... I had to do a google search to find the homebrew competition information. Just letting you know in case you are going to try and find it.

Yep, it's put on by Siciliano's Market each May. I thought I posted in the events forums, but I guess I didn't!

Anyway, they said they will try to have it put on their website: Sicilianosmkt.com this week, and it's up on their facebook page Siciliano's Market Facebook Page.

Here's the Nutshell:

Seminars are on Friday the 13th at the FOP Hall on Alpine starting at 6PM. The cost is $5 to attend the seminars and the speakers include:

Someone from Vivant Brewery
Someone taking about Beekeeping
Someone talking about Breadmaking
Someone from Siciliano's Market talking about yeast
Jeff Carlson, a well known local cidermaker
and someone from Sam Adams again this year.

The seminars are WELL worth the $5 even if they didn't hand out samples, which they have done at least the past 2 years. Last year Sam Adams contributed a bottle of Utopias for the BOS winner!

On Saturday the 14th the Party at Townsend Park in Grand Rapids (Cannonsburg, actually) begins at 11am. I'm guessing, based on previous experience, that there will be PLENTY of homebrew beer, wine, and cider, plus food and games and possibly some door prizes. The cost is $35 and well worth it hang out with other homebrewers and drink their beer. The Homebrew Competition winners will be announced then as well, and you can pick up your scoresheets if you like.

All in all a great time!

I called and let them know the website was not updated and honestly I couldn't even find the event on their facebook page, even though Steve said it was on there... I had to do a google search to find the homebrew competition information. Just letting you know in case you are going to try and find it.

awesome! sounds like it will be worth the drive over

Back