Perlick Reverse Creamer vs. Stout Faucet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodie

Reaction score
Finishing up my keezer build in the next week or so (long draw so its a big project) and I am looking for some advice on a Stout Faucet. I currently have 3 Perlick 650ss faucets and I want my 4th to be a stout faucet.

Anyone know if that Perlick 690ss is good for that? I like the idea of all the faucets matching but if the reverse creamer isn't really the right tool for the job I am not that worried about it.

Assuming you would not recommend the 690ss could you point me to a good alternative? My previous kegerator used the inexpensive style of faucet that would get stuck after two days of no use. I really don't want that same issue with whatever I get. I don't want to go crazy but the price is less of a concern than the stuck issue.

Thanks

I have a 690SS and I am not impressed with it, I cant even remember the last time I used the creamer function. I love my other Perlick 650ss faucets

Thanks - is the design of this faucet such that it will not get stuck like the inexpensive normal ones do?

Thanks - is the design of this faucet such that it will not get stuck like the inexpensive normal ones do?

Yes. It's a completely different design than a normal CO2 faucet.

Edit to add... Due to the design of all stout faucets, they do require some extra effort to keep them working well.

The restrictor plate in the nozzle has 5 or six very small holes that the beer is pushed thru. After a pour, beer will become trapped above the plate as well as inside the nozzle below the plate and it will leak out slowly over several minutes, making a bit of a mess on the drip tray. Also, depending how long you go between pours, the beer that is trapped inside may dry out and clog the holes in the plate making it impossible to pour. To avoid this I have made it a habit of unthreading the nozzle after every pour and dunking it in Starsan to rinse it, then threading it back on so it's ready for the next pour. If you're pouring from the faucet on a daily basis, you can skip the Starson dunk and just clean the nozzle periodically (say, once a week, give or take) because it will evenually get gunked up, but the frequent pours should keep the holes in the plate from clogging from dried beer in between cleanings.

Last edited:
I have Intertap faucets and really like them, and when I set up nitro I plan to equip one of them with the Intertap Stout Spout, which has a restrictor plate. The advantage with the Intertap approach is that you can convert the faucet to/from nitro serving -- no need to replace the whole faucet.

I haven't tried the Stout Spout yet, but the reviews I see for it are generally quite positive. Maybe some folks who have first hand experience can pitch in.

As far as Perlick faucets go I bought a Perlick 575SS Creamer about eight years ago. Even though I never did use the creamer feature it worked flawlessly until recently when it began sticking a lot. Two months ago after replacing its four washers, it works as good as new again.

I have Intertap faucets and really like them, and when I set up nitro I plan to equip one of them with the Intertap Stout Spout, which has a restrictor plate. The advantage with the Intertap approach is that you can convert the faucet to/from nitro serving -- no need to replace the whole faucet.

I haven't tried the Stout Spout yet, but the reviews I see for it are generally quite positive. Maybe some folks who have first hand experience can pitch in.

Standard stout faucets can also be used to pour CO2 beers if the restrictor plate is removed.

As far as Perlick faucets go I bought a Perlick 575SS Creamer about eight years ago. Even though I never did use the creamer feature it worked flawlessly until recently when it began sticking a lot. Two months ago after replacing its four washers, it works as good as new again.

I had three 575SS faucets and a couple of them had issues with leaking. No matter how I adjusted the fit of the ball to the O-ring I could not get them to reliably seal. Lost an entire keg of a dubbel one night due to a leaking faucet, which really pissed me off, as one can imagine. After that, I replaced them all with 650s and was very happy with that solution, but later on I expanded my tap count and wanted to utilize the 575s again. I ended up buying the parts to convert them to 525s and they've been working great ever since.

I had three 575SS faucets and a couple of them had issues with leaking. No matter how I adjusted the fit of the ball to the O-ring I could not get them to reliably seal. Lost an entire keg of a dubbel one night due to a leaking faucet, which really pissed me off, as one can imagine. After that, I replaced them all with 650s and was very happy with that solution, but later on I expanded my tap count and wanted to utilize the 575s again. I ended up buying the parts to convert them to 525s and they've been working great ever since.
Oh man, what a nightmare. Fortunately for me I had no issues replacing the washers on mine using the kit below.

Perlick 525 Series O-Ring Kit

From the pics on amazon that Intertap Flow Control faucet looks almost just like the perlick 690ss. Can anyone confirm it really looks similar in person? I really like the idea of keeping the taps all looking the same but being able add the stout faucet on later. Wish I had asked the question sooner, might have just gone with all intertap's

...Intertap Flow Control faucet looks almost just like the perlick 690ss. Can anyone confirm it really looks similar in person? ...

I have four of the Intertap flow control faucets, they definitely look very similar to the Perlicks. They work great. I really like how they've designed the internal sealing mechanism in the latest version.

I've found the flow control feature to be very handy to have. I turn off the flow control after taking a pour, it will completely stop the flow. That way I don't have to worry about my cat bumping open a faucet when I'm not there. The flow control is also very handy for filling bottles or growlers from the faucet. Just turn down the flow to get a nice fill without too much foam. The Intertap Growler Spout screws onto the faucet.

Last edited:
I used to have the 575 creamer faucet. Never had any issues with it, but it was not the same thing as a nitro faucet. It just let you put a nice head on your pint if you didn't have one.

Added a stout faucet with N2/CO2. I was happy with that, but when Intertaps came out, I preferred that it could easily convert from a regular faucet to a nitro faucet because I was always alternating between regular and nitro. I was happy enough with the intertaps that I sold my 575s and stout faucet.

I haven't seen a 690 in person, but I can compare my intertaps to my lone Perlick 630. They look similar, but different enough that it is obvious.

Thanks to everyone - I ordered two of the intertaps... Like i said, wish I had asked sooner. Will report back with a comparison between the Perlick and them once I have put a few thru them. :yes:

I have 3 Intertap FC faucets one Perlick 650ss. I like Intertap a lot and have a stout nozzle for them. It works great for my nitro beers. Another plus side of going with Intertap is that you don't have to have a dedicated stout faucet so if you don't have a stout ready to serve you can just screw on a normal nozzle and pour co2 beers until you have something to use beer gas on. The quality of them is great but I do think the solid feel and smooth pour is a little better on the Perlick, but not by much.

Thanks to everyone - I ordered two of the intertaps... Like i said, wish I had asked sooner. Will report back with a comparison between the Perlick and them once I have put a few thru them. :yes:
Hey, Woodie, what's been your experience with the Perlicks and Intertaps?

I've got four 650SS Perlick Flow Control faucets that also started having "issues" a year or so ago that I described on another thread recently. It was a bit of a goat-rope but I finally got them all rebuilt and sanitized yesterday, and I'm happy to report that all are operating like new. Don't think they, or the 690SS Creamer Faucet would work as a go-to faucet for stouts however. I do have two older Vent-Matic faucets as well as a brand new Intertap Nukatap with replaceable spouts and would like to hear any feedback from people who have gone this route for dispensing stouts, porters or other Nitro pours.

Brooo Brother

Back