Perlick Faucets... Necessary???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have micro matic all stainless I talked to two local brew pub brewers and they said they hate perlick and love micro matic I'm not trying to start any crap but I have noticed a lot of places that have perlick towers and micromatic faucets...Ok start throwing the knives...Pat

I have micro matic all stainless I talked to two local brew pub brewers and they said they hate perlick and love micro matic I'm not trying to start any crap but I have noticed a lot of places that have perlick towers and micromatic faucets...Ok start throwing the knives...Pat

I don't think micromatic has a forward sealing faucet in their lineup do they?
What was the explanation for the love and hate...have any more info?

We all love the forward sealing function because we are not pouring beer every 5 minutes all day every day. The micro-matics and similar designs tend to have problems with sticking, but not when in regular use. The sticking is not an issue for a bar owner, so he may have other reasons.

An update about the Perlick 525SS. I just placed a pre-order for them from Rapids and they should be shipping early May. They were $28.99 and shipping for 4 of them was $10, so my total cost was $125 for 4 (not bad considering I was going to spend more on the 425S's). To order you can call Rapids direct: 1-800-472-7431.

*2nd Update: Rapids just called me and said they received the 525SS this week and should be shipping next week. So no waiting if you can place the order soon.

I tried to find them on Rapids website (525 SS) and cannot find them. Not sure if this is a website problem or they just haven't updated the website. Any ideas?

I have these from Micromatic now and they tend to get stuck and I have rinse it out with warm water pain in the butt as I have to use a spray bottle. But I got them new and free.

micromatic.jpg

Loren the guy at Grand rapids said they are going fast and he had to check to see if any were left before I placed the order . I got the email confirmation and they will go out on friday

I have three of the cheap stainless faucets and mine don't stick. I never understood why everyone has problems with them. I take them apart to clean them every keg or two and once in awhile I spray star san into the ends and hit them with a brush and I have no problems. Almost every bar uses them, in fact the closest bar to me with decent beer has 16 of the cheap brass ones and they have been there 20 plus years.

Just got the last 525SS from Rapids I think. They only had one to sell according to the guy on the phone. The guy who helped me order, Loren, was extremely knowledgeable and helped correct me on a 1/4" line choice. Thanks for the heads up guys.

I have three of the cheap stainless faucets and mine don't stick. I never understood why everyone has problems with them. I take them apart to clean them every keg or two and once in awhile I spray star san into the ends and hit them with a brush and I have no problems. Almost every bar uses them, in fact the closest bar to me with decent beer has 16 of the cheap brass ones and they have been there 20 plus years.

Read the thread. If you use the taps on a regular basis the standard Micromatic faucets work great. They are inexpensive and durable. However if you don't use a tap regularly then the beer can dry around the mechanisms and become very sticky. This will result in a sticky valve and can, if you force it, cause a broken tap. Bars do not have taps that go unused. Some home kegerators may also see regular use, either due to heavy drinkers or only having a couple taps. However if you are like me and would like to have 4 or more different beers available but only have 1 regular drinker in the house a tap is likely to go days or even a week without use. This can cause a problem with regular taps. Forward sealing taps avoid the problem.

Craig

As an update to my previous post, I sent the 425SS faucets back to Rapids (they were very nice to deal with). Today I received the 525SS faucets in the mail. I will definitely buy from Rapids again in the future.

All I can says is I really love mine, but they're all I've ever owned. And that was back when you could get them for under $30.00.

All I can says is I really love mine, but they're all I've ever owned. And that was back when you could get them for under $30.00.

Us who ordered from Rapids got them for under $30, $28.95 to be exact.

Great price and great service. They even custom put together a all SS elbow shank for cheaper that I could get anywhere else.

Read the thread. If you use the taps on a regular basis the standard Micromatic faucets work great. They are inexpensive and durable. However if you don't use a tap regularly then the beer can dry around the mechanisms and become very sticky. This will result in a sticky valve and can, if you force it, cause a broken tap. Bars do not have taps that go unused. Some home kegerators may also see regular use, either due to heavy drinkers or only having a couple taps. However if you are like me and would like to have 4 or more different beers available but only have 1 regular drinker in the house a tap is likely to go days or even a week without use. This can cause a problem with regular taps. Forward sealing taps avoid the problem.

Craig

I read the thread. I have 3 taps going at all times and I don't drink alot. In fact the nut brown I have on tap hasn't been touched in weeks, it poured fine tonight without sticking. I'm either lucky or cleaning them once in awhile works. The only time I have had a problem was during the summer when I didn't clean one for several kegs. I had a chunk of something gross deep inside. I think that would happen to any tap.

Can someone post the link for the 525ss on rapids? I can't seem to find them on the website.

Thanks

They don't have the link active right now because they don't have them in stock. Perlick had a bad batch quality wise on the out side part (per a call to Perlick) and rapids won't have their next batch until May. Some of us on here ordered before all that happened and were sent the 425SS model and were able to send them back and wait. But then Rapids found 25 of them and sent them out to people that had already ordered them.

Search their site for part number 8P490 in May and it should be there or call and put in your order now to get in line so you get some of the first order they get.

ok...the faucets I have screw onto the shanks with internal threads the perlicks have external threads . Do I need an adapter or new shanks ?

Doh I think I am idiot .... When I looked at the tower I thought the coupler was part of the faucet. No wonder I couldn't unscrew the faucet. The couplers are smooth on mine just like the faucet .... I wasn't even drinking yet..

Bad news/good news

I got my order today.

Bad news: I got a 425SS, not the 525 I had been confirmed to have one of. One of the shank's flanges was broken and the Leron, who sold me a non-fused shank after swapping the line choice, didn't include any coupling nuts for the tailpiece after he changed the order.

Good news: They answered the phone at 6:30 PM EST and got a friendly man who helped me. He said that the parts bin for both of them were next to each other and that they may have grabbed the wrong one that I'd asked for. He went on to say that the whole Perlick quality issue hit everyone and didn't even know they had a small stock of ones that were good.

As for dealing with this and the broken flange, they said they'd call me on Monday to work something out. I'll go ahead and throw two coupling nuts for the tailpieces then. My fault for not explicitly checking the order and confirming that I need/didn't need them.

So, Rapids is so far still a good vendor in my mind with the price of perlicks.

I got my 575's today. Lemme tell ya, that creamer function is sweet. You conduct the usual pour, then if you want a creamier head, tilt the lever the other direction past the "off" position and it diverts the brew through some small orifices and the turbulence creates extra dense foam.

got my 425's the other day, think I am going to send them back, rapidwholesale said they would take them back and send the 525's in may. Thanks everyone for the info

I got my 575's today. Lemme tell ya, that creamer function is sweet. You conduct the usual pour, then if you want a creamier head, tilt the lever the other direction past the "off" position and it diverts the brew through some small orifices and the turbulence creates extra dense foam.

Would this take the place of the $90+ stout faucets that I see sold at the stores? I really want a good stout faucet but that is pretty steep. $45 for the 575 would be a great deal if it did the same thing.

Did you get these from Rapid? I've been searching for the 575s but can't find them anywhere.

Back