Pellicle in kombucha bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kombujo

Reaction score
Hi All,
Am filtering down to 1 micron absolute, pure tea kombucha. We are getting pellicle growth in bottle within 2 days of bottling. Usually no issue with this. This was the first time we purged bottles with CO2 and also previously only filtering to 2 micron absolute.

Concluding that this formation is somehow related to removing the majority of yeast, yet leaving most of the bacteria to play.
Does this make sense?

Cheers for your help

1 micron cellulose? Usually 1 micron cellulose means 1-5 micron.

Are you force carbonating, or bottle conditioning?

If you bottle condition, pellicles are guaranteed.
To avoid pellicle growth you must filter, force carb, and bottle with counterpressure.

Then there's the fact that most people pack their kombucha with sugar. What's your brix? It should be low when bottling, or else you supply food for the fermentation to continue.

Last edited:
1 micron absolute depth/membrane filter
Force carbing, so not bottle conditioning
Bottle using blichmann gun. Sterilising with peracetic acid and purging with CO2 prior to filling

The small pellicle formation post bottling is normal if you add a food source (sugar, fruit, fruit juice) as mentioned above. It's a sign of a healthy ferment. Don't like it then pour through a strainer when drinking or pasteurize and force carb. I drink mine. Doesn't freak me out one bit.

Back