pellet vs. whole

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Radler

Reaction score
Hi, I have only ever used pellet hops and am now using a different shop which only carries whole leaf. If my recipe called for 1 oz. Hallertau can I use 1oz leaf just as well as pellet or is there some difference I should know about? I would guess not but I would like to be sure. Thanks.

Radler said:
Hi, I have only ever used pellet hops and am now using a different shop which only carries whole leaf. If my recipe called for 1 oz. Hallertau can I use 1oz leaf just as well as pellet or is there some difference I should know about? I would guess not but I would like to be sure. Thanks.

You'd want to use about 10-15% more if you're using leaf and the recipe calls for pellet.

You can increase the bittering hops 10%, but realistically why bother? I'm certain there are people here who will disagree violently, but at the off-flavor seminar I attended last fall just about everyone had trouble detecting bittering differences of less than 10 IBU.

Flavor & aroma will only change for the better.

One lesson I learned is how much wort gets absorbed by whole leaf hops. They're easier to strain out after the boil, but BOY you're losing some worty-goodness.

However, I only regret is not starting my boil with amounts which adjust for the loss created by using whole hops.

slushy1975 said:
One lesson I learned is how much wort gets absorbed by whole leaf hops. They're easier to strain out after the boil, but BOY you're losing some worty-goodness.

However, I only regret is not starting my boil with amounts which adjust for the loss created by using whole hops.

Sparge and squeeze or cook the hops seperately and dump the hop water into the wort at the desired times.

Whole also does not store as well. I have been brewing with whole recently, and there is something about using whole which I really like. I love watching the leafs roll in the boil. You cant beat whole for dry dopping either.

Latest posts

Back