pelicle (or just a scummy layer?) on a Berliner Weisse?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregR

Reaction score
Well I decided to try my hand at a Berliner Weisse and am a little worried. I've read conflicting information that just lacto wont make a pelicle and also that while it wont make a true pelicle it can make a scummy layer on top so I figured I'd ask the experts. it's been sitting for exactly a month and just yesterday I noticed a little growth on top. There previously hadn't been any growth on top. I took a sample to taste and it tasted like it should but this morning the scum covered the entire top so I'm a little worried something else may have made its way into the carboy. Anyway, here are some pictures to look at an critique.

g0NX9l.jpg

SottTl.jpg

i don't really know. but i wouldnt freak out too much, since you did add something different in it. if your sanitation was good then the chances of you getting an infection are really slim.

yeah, I'm not too worried about it but figured I'd let everyone else take a look at it. sanitation was just fine, though I did have some trouble getting the yeast to do their job because I let it sit on the lacto too long before pitching the yeast so I ended up tossing in some extract that I boiled and a can of peach puree. either way, it tastes nice and sour and has no detectable flavor of "infection" so it's bottle bound in about a week or two regardless of what grows on top.

since your a little unsure about this one, you might wanna make sure the bottles are some where safe just incase

Looks very familiar to what is growing in my Berliner carboys. Congratulations, you have what looks like a healthy Berliner Weiss fermenting away.

Back