Pectic enzyme vs fruit pectin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SanAequitas

Reaction score
So, pectic enzyme is a great addition to any mead or beer with fruit in it. But what's the difference between it and pectin, used in gelling for jams/jellies? Would that be the same usefulness? Different? More like gelatin and only for clarity, not with juicing/flavor boost?

Yes, I know the citric acid adds acidity, I'm mainly wondering about pectinase vs pectin for brewing purposes.

Pectic enzyme: pectinase, and maltodextrin and/or dextrose monohydrate (as a carrier)
Pectin: dextrose, fruit pectin, citric acid

??
Pectin is the figurative opposite of pectic enzyme.
Pectin is a clouding agent. Pectic enzyme breaks pectin down so fruited beers can be much brighter.

I use pectic enzyme (aka pectinase) to break down raspberries prior to pureeing them as it greatly increases yield and decreases haze...

Cheers!

The enzyme breaks down the pectin proteins. Pectin is what enables fruit to become jams and jellies and if you add pectic enzyme to fruit it will not become jelly. In a wine (or beer) the presence of pectins produces a less than bright and clear drink. When those pectins are broken down with the addition of enzymes the wine will clear. And s day-tripper also states, the addition of pectic enzymes to fruit helps extract more juice from the fruit with less effort on the wine maker's part.

Just wanted to add, alcohol will denature pectic enzyme. It needs to be used prior to pitching the yeast.

I know what pectic enzyme does, and what pectins (from fruit) do in brewing. My question is more specifically about the powder fruit pectin you add to fruit n sugar n stuff to make a jelly. This isn't the pectins already present in the fruit.

Gelatin works as a fining agent, although the main use of it is making jello. Would fruit pectin not do the same thing?

I know what pectic enzyme does, and what pectins (from fruit) do in brewing. My question is more specifically about the powder fruit pectin you add to fruit n sugar n stuff to make a jelly. This isn't the pectins already present in the fruit.

Gelatin works as a fining agent, although the main use of it is making jello. Would fruit pectin not do the same thing?
No pectin and gelatin are very different substances who both happen to be able to thicken stuff (in different ways).

A cursory look under the respective hoods indicates their electrical charges are dissimilar. Given the clarification capability of gelatin is known, I'm guessing pectin is not as well suited for the task...

Cheers!

Pectin would definitely thicken the beer/wine if you boiled it. so would cornstarch, flour, and a number of other products. It wouldn't clear a beer though.

No pectin and gelatin are very different substances who both happen to be able to thicken stuff (in different ways).

A cursory look under the respective hoods indicates their electrical charges are dissimilar. Given the clarification capability of gelatin is known, I'm guessing pectin is not as well suited for the task...

Pectin would definitely thicken the beer/wine if you boiled it. so would cornstarch, flour, and a number of other products. It wouldn't clear a beer though.

Mkay, these were what I was looking for. I didn't want to test even a gallon with pectin and end up with a weird fruity mead-gel-smoothie!

Latest posts

Back