Pectic enzyme in cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trace

Reaction score
I am returning to the brewing world after a 20+ year hiatus, so practically a newbie. After brewing a couple batches of beer, I decided to make some cider for my gluten sensitive wife. Unfortunately, I read some of the fine points after several days in the primary (my usual way of learning; by mistake!). Anyway, it is now about 1 month into the secondary and i realized I should have used pectic enzyme if I wanted clear cider. My question is this, is it too late to add the pectic enzyme now? I was thinking of racking soon and perhaps I could add an appropriate amount of the enzyme when racking so it would mix in well. Any thoughts, recommendations?

I believe that alcohol denatures pectic enzyme. That's why you add it before the yeast.

I wouldn't worry too much. It will just be a little hazy. Personally, I like my ciders to have a little haze to them.

My recommendation is to bottle and drink. You can try adding pectic enzyme. It won't hurt anything.

I wouldn't worry too much. It will just be a little hazy. Personally, I like my ciders to have a little haze to them.
Ditto that ^^^ I've read the same regarding when to add pectic enzyme to a batch....can't verify, as I've always added it up front when I use it, so.....can't say for certain, and am sure there'd be no harm trying after the fsact

I always prefer to add pectolase at the end. For some reason, it never seems to work for me when I add it at the beginning. Just give it 48 hours to settle. Then bottle/keg.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I am returning to the brewing world after a 20+ year hiatus, so practically a newbie. After brewing a couple batches of beer, I decided to make some cider for my gluten sensitive wife. Unfortunately, I read some of the fine points after several days in the primary (my usual way of learning; by mistake!). Anyway, it is now about 1 month into the secondary and i realized I should have used pectic enzyme if I wanted clear cider. My question is this, is it too late to add the pectic enzyme now? I was thinking of racking soon and perhaps I could add an appropriate amount of the enzyme when racking so it would mix in well. Any thoughts, recommendations?

All three previous responses are basically correct. Remember most enzymes work best at 150-160 degrees. They have little effect on cold or room temp products. I'd give the manufacturer a contact and see what temp they recommend.

leeinwa

Thanks for the helpful comments. I tried putting some in when I racked (2nd rack). I am going to let it settle for a week or two and see what happens before bottling. I will let you all know what happens-probably nothing since it doesn't appear to be settling at all in 2-3 days so far! I am not worried about it being a little hazy, but I am making this for my gluten free wife and I was hoping to make it nice and clear so it would look more "drinkable" to her.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but did you get it to clear? And how did the cider turn out, taste-wise?

It never cleared, but it tastes fine. My wife likes it and since I made it for her, that's what is important.

Thanks for the reply. If yours didn't clear, I guess mine won't either. I'm making mine for my girlfriend as well, so I hope mine will turn out as good as yours! Cheers :)

Latest posts

Back