Pear Brandy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, I made some Perry last fall that got the rhinofarts something fierce. I currently have 5 gallons sitting in the garage and was wondering would running it through a small copper still (1.5litres) remove the hydrogen sulfide or would I just get farty brandy? It would be my first attempt at distillation.

try racking through some copper wool or adding a (real) copper coin. The Cu binds with the sulfur to produce a minute amount of copper sulfate and the hydrogen binds with O2 to produce a tiny amount of water. Smell will have gone because you have effectively removed the hydrogen sulfide chemically.

New here. Am I supposed to ask a question in someone else's post that relates to the topic or start a new one? If so,is it better to make brandy from fresh wine or aged wine?

This is only my second post here. Very new so I don't want to ask a question where I'm not supposed to. Some forums frown on that and don't want you going off topic. I will be making some pear wine soon and was curious. I figured fresh would be better. Thanks for the input. 🍻

This is only my second post here. Very new so I don't want to ask a question where I'm not supposed to. Some forums frown on that and don't want you going off topic. I will be making some pear wine soon and was curious. I figured fresh would be better. Thanks for the input. 🍻

i've only made brandy from store bought wine, but would imagine i'd want to get all the freshness to come over...it can then melow with the aging wood...but it wouldn't just be lost to the air before it got run...my thoughts....

:mug: necro threads happen! there's a thread about it even, ;) :mug: (i get a kick when it's one i've posted in from years ago! :D)

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/necropost-awards.693917/
and this isn't quite necro, i'm still alive and kicking! 🤞

Good to hear your well brac. Necro thread🤣🤣. Iv also only made brandy from a kit my son had. It was a week over what he thought was safe for bottling. Turned out quite nice. Its on oak now. But wanna do a fresh batch and giver ago.

Good to hear your well brac. Necro thread🤣🤣. Iv also only made brandy from a kit my son had. It was a week over what he thought was safe for bottling. Turned out quite nice. Its on oak now. But wanna do a fresh batch and giver ago.

in a few months be sure to report back! (you might win an award! ;) :mug:)

edit: my bottle of brandy i said i made it was done in 2008, and it's still aging on oak...that'd be a cool necro thread to bring back! :D

Whhaaaat? Is that bottle still aging? That's some wild **** if it is. I'm just new to the game so my oldest aged is 4 months😪.

it was my first! i needed the carlo rossi bottles....it happened on the 4th of july or a day before or after....decided i'd save it for the memory and celecrate every 4th with a snifter.....unfornatly i used local valley oak for it, and it tastes canadian.....BUT still....it's older then some peoples kids....

if you get on top of your pipe line should think of doing something similar!

Iv got lots aging. Making more everyday so I can let it sit. This some rum from tonight's run. Angels get their share tonight then going on charred oak.

Attachments

• 20220316_234736.jpg
    20220316_234736.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 26
Lol. I'm still learning. Reading till my eyes bleed and taking notes.but things are starting to make sense. Sometimes I got 24 of those jars to blend. Always save my tails as feints for next spirit run.

Impressive amounts of little jars in that picture! I love how the table colors it.

Keep reading until your eyes bleed, and running. Everything I've made has turned out drinkable, but its definitely getting better. My first, all molly rum is amazing, and its only 2 months old. Its time to get a 5 gal pail, and start a big run, so I have enough to get through the summer AND age some!

K

Impressive amounts of little jars in that picture! I love how the table colors it.

Keep reading until your eyes bleed, and running. Everything I've made has turned out drinkable, but its definitely getting better. My first, all molly rum is amazing, and its only 2 months old. Its time to get a 5 gal pail, and start a big run, so I have enough to get through the summer AND age some!

K
Actually, that run did come out with a yellow tinge.not sure why? Everything iv made to date has come out crystal clear.
This rum recipe had bananas in it and the wash was very foamy during fermenting. I always leave lots of head space but I'm guessing it foamed up,hence the yellow.
I may rerun it for extra abv. Not sure yet.
Iv been playing around with all molasses rum also. It's on oak but a small jar I added some mulling spice,and wow.if you can find it give it a try. But be careful its supper strong and concentrated.

K
Iv had pretty good luck too. Everything is pretty darn tasty. I started with sugar washes with corn for flavoring. They about 4 months now on oak. We did some samples for my buddies bday and he was surprised it was so good. It's great impressing my friends but I only need to please myself. 🍻

Must have puked. No other reason that it wouldn't be clear.

K
Absolutely. I only ever fill my pot 1/2 or slightly more.everything comes out clear. You figure it was the banana, cause I do the all molasses rum and never had that happen before. banana is the only difference?

If it's really your first attempt then please be extra careful. I hope you didn't end up making methanol instead of ethanol(alcohol)
Where I live hundreds of people every year die in villages after drinking poisonous moonshine liquor. Without proper education and experience, distillation is not for everyone.
We can afford to experiment with brewing but not with distillation.

Back