Peach Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackIce

Reaction score
This is my 2nd year making meads. I have been trying different ingredients in each one to see what I like.

Here is my Peach mead

3 LBS Honey
1 LB Peaches Primary
Water to 1 gal
Fleischmann's Active Dry Yeast

After 3 weeks move to secondary and add 1 LB of peaches.

Made on 8/15/216
OG was 26 Brix

Moved to secondary on 9/5/2016
Gravity was down to 11 Brix(15.75% ABV)

Will rack to new carboy on 10/5/2016

I do have videos if anyone wants to check them out
Making [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnkz4XDbpYE[/ame]
Update going into secondary [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29WnRX-lR8U[/ame]

Ill keep everyone up-to-date on how it goes

I used bread yeast on this one to see if I could get it like a peach cobbler. I think using 3 LBs of honey should make it sweet.

if I want a bread taste, I like to use 2 ounces of dry munich malt extract per gallon. Any malt will work but munich malt is the toasted bread taste of german beers

if I want a bread taste, I like to use 2 ounces of dry munich malt extract per gallon. Any malt will work but munich malt is the toasted bread taste of german beers

Nice I might have to try that in the next one I make. Thanks for the info

Why would using 3 lbs of honey result in an obviously "sweet" mead? The only way to make a mead sweet is to have residual sugars left in the mead after the yeast
Has died of alcohol poisoning, or
Has been removed or rendered ineffective through filtration or some other process or
The mead has been stabilized and sugar added that the yeast can now no longer ferment.
But,t is not immediately obvious that bread yeast cannot survive plowing through 3 lbs of honey. The starting gravity will be around 1.090 with the peaches (your Brix reading of 26 ). Not sure, either that bread yeast will provide you with a taste of grains. What it will do is not flocculate very well and so it won't drop out of suspension very easily

Why would using 3 lbs of honey result in an obviously "sweet" mead? The only way to make a mead sweet is to have residual sugars left in the mead after the yeast
Has died of alcohol poisoning, or
Has been removed or rendered ineffective through filtration or some other process or
The mead has been stabilized and sugar added that the yeast can now no longer ferment.
But,t is not immediately obvious that bread yeast cannot survive plowing through 3 lbs of honey. The starting gravity will be around 1.090 with the peaches (your Brix reading of 26 ). Not sure, either that bread yeast will provide you with a taste of grains. What it will do is not flocculate very well and so it won't drop out of suspension very easily

I'm just going by how my other meads tasted using 3 LBS of honey and the same yeast. I know that the yeast cant eat all the residual sugars so I should get a sweet taste in this one.

As of 10/9/2016 Birx reading is still 11 so Im looking at a 15.72% ABV

I will let this sit for a year or more so I hope it clears. I have 6 other meads using the same yeast that have cleared well

Back