Peach Brandy (wine) help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

max42

Reaction score
Made a recipe called peach brandy. Since it's not distilled I know it's technically a wine.
Recipe:
2 gal peaches
4 gal warm water
Juice of 8 lemons
20 lbs sugar
2 pkgs Lalvin D47

Fermented 7 days then added 6 lbs raisins
Left for 3 weeks

I could not take a starting gravity since I did not know how to account for peaches. Sugar alone in 4 gal would result in a 1.2 OG I think.
Before adding raisins I took a gravity reading 1.024.
Today (after 21 days on raisins) the gravity was 1.035, volume was 6 gal after removing peaches and raisins, wasn't expecting that much additional volume.
Again not sure what the raisins should have contributed.
Basically I'm not sure what the finishing gravity should have been, and thoughts on all this?
Plan to leave in fermenter another week and recheck gravity. I want to make sure it's done so there's no chance of bottle bombs.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

This sounds delicious, by 2 gal of peaches, peach mash or peach juice?

I used 1/2 bushel fresh peaches. All the estimates indicated that should be close to 2 gallons. Just sliced the up peels and all. I didn't have room to throw in the pits.

I just checked the calculator on another forum and estimating 10 lb of peaches,( a gallon ziplock holds about 5 lb of fruit), it shows a potential ABV of 19+%. D47 has a tolerance of about 14%, it will probably be sweet. If it is to sweet for your taste you can add some high ABV yeast like EC-1118 or K1-V1116, both can go to around 20%
Raisins in the secondary will add body, in the primary they add body and nutrition for the yeast.

It is sweet, expected it to be. I had read D47 would do fine at about 15%. The original recipe used grocery store bread yeast so I figured D47 would be best. So if I see no gravity change when I check this weekend then I should be ok and no bottle bombs. However, if I added some 118 what would I expect as a FG.
Thanks

If you are using d47, try to keep the temps below 75, around 68-70 is good, that yeast can throw ALOT of fusels as the temps get higher...I'm still aging out a Niagara-peach that got too warm last summer, only 13% ABV, but originally tasted like rocket fuel...mellowing nicely, should be ready by Xmas.

about half my peaches went bad before I was able to try putting this together, so i split everything in half..we shall see how it turns out..

The original recipe was half, I made a double batch to split with a friend. I'd like to hear how your comes out.

Back