Peach Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EagleScout

Reaction score
I'm looking for a 1 gallon extract recipe that would be a good base to make a peach beer. A friend of mine suggested peaches when I was talking about this latest batch that I split up to make strawberry and blueberry wheat and I'd rather make a small batch to try peaches than make 5 gallons of it or split a batch up again.

1 lb 2-row
1 lb white wheat
0.2 oz Amarillo at 60 minutes
WYeast 1010 (or just use US-05/WYeast 1056/WLP001 instead)

1 lb peaches after primary fermentation
1 tsp lactic acid at bottling (assuming you're not kegging a 1 gallon batch) to make the peach flavor pop

I scaled this down from my 5 gallon peach wheat recipe I brew every summer.

EDIT: Oops, you said extract. I'd just use 0.6 lb of light dme and 0.6 lb of wheat dme instead.

Definitely a wheat. Those are good directions above.

Brewed this recipe about 10 days ago.

Sorry its an all grain recipe but you could do a simple steeping step of the crystal 20 and the Munich

http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/186289/summer-peach-pale-ale-5-gallon-13

Summer Peach Pale Ale 5 gallon 1.3 (2 ratings)
All Grain Recipe
Submitted By: IrishWhiskey (Shared)
Members can download and share recipes
Brewer: TeirWalker Brewing
Batch Size: 5.00 gal Style: American IPA (14B)
Boil Size: 6.52 gal Style Guide: BJCP 2008
Color: 7.5 SRM Equipment: Pot and Cooler ( 5 Gal/19 L) - All Grain
Bitterness: 71.5 IBUs Boil Time: 60 min
Est OG: 1.066 (16.0° P) Mash Profile: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
Est FG: 1.020 SG (5.1° P) Fermentation: Ale, Single Stage
ABV: 6.0% Taste Rating: 30.0
Ingredients
Amount Name Type #
11 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 1
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 2
12.04 oz Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 3
1.07 oz Cascade [7.2%] - First Wort Hops 4
0.55 oz Citra [12.5%] - First Wort Hops 5
1.00 oz Citra [12.0%] - Boil 20 min Hops 6
1.00 oz Citra [12.0%] - Boil 0 min Hops 7
2 pkgs California Ale V (White Labs #WLP051) Yeast 8
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.0%] - Dry Hop 7 days Hops 9
1.00 oz Amarillo [9.2%] - Dry Hop 0 days Hops 10
Taste Notes
Fantastic Peach Flavor that is not over whelming but i did not account for the peach slurree to absorb the hop bitterness so it turned out to be a very nice peach pale ale was ment to be an IPA
Notes
Add a pound of peachs per gallon Peachs added on the 3rd day after vigorus fermentaion was completed as well as 2 oz Simcoe to dry hop into primary. Originaly I used 1.20oz of citra for bittering but didn't have enough so I substitute with cascade

I tasted it and you get a hint of the peach but more hard to place tart flavor. Used WLP 022, wich was just what I had on hand at the time ( a re-pitch). My yeast choice was maybe not the best. I added 2 tbs sugar to my 1 cup sample and it was better, but still not what I was looking for. I racked it off the peaches and added the dry hops. I'll see what I get in a week or so.

I'm assuming your using fresh peaches, minus the pits & skins? What about frozen if good fresh ones aren't available?

Fresh is always my first choice but I don't have a problem with frozen if I want to make something like this in the off season/

Use peach schnapps its the only way to get a solid peach flavor to shine. Othetwise apricots give a better peachy flavor than actual peaches.

Use peach schnapps its the only way to get a solid peach flavor to shine. Othetwise apricots give a better peachy flavor than actual peaches.
How much peach schnapps would you add to a 5 gal batch. Been looking to do this exact thing! Thx in advance

1 lb 2-row
1 lb white wheat
0.2 oz Amarillo at 60 minutes
WYeast 1010 (or just use US-05/WYeast 1056/WLP001 instead)

1 lb peaches after primary fermentation
1 tsp lactic acid at bottling (assuming you're not kegging a 1 gallon batch) to make the peach flavor pop

I scaled this down from my 5 gallon peach wheat recipe I brew every summer.

EDIT: Oops, you said extract. I'd just use 0.6 lb of light dme and 0.6 lb of wheat dme instead.
Is lactic acid still needed if kegging? I have a one gallon keg.

Back