Peach Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baileyforlife

Reaction score
So we have a Micro Brewery about an hour and a half from where we live called Choc beer, and they make a Peach beer that my co-workers love. They have given me money (for ingredients) to try and make them this beer and since it's only my second fruit beer I thought I'd try and keep it simple.

http://www.petes.org/choc_room.html

8 lbs american 2 row
1 lbs wheat malt
.8 carapils
.5 amarillo 60 min
.25 amarillo 5 min

Then I will add about 6 lbs frozen peaches to secondary and then maybe 1 -2 oz peach extract at bottling?

Any suggestions on this recipe? Thanks

That link isn't working for me, but I can give you some basic advice based on my experiences with using peaches. I'm assuming that this is a 5 gallon batch.

I'd mash on the higher side to keep a full body. The peaches are going to add a lot of liquid and a lot of simple sugar, so having a full body will help to keep it from getting way too thin. I think your grainbill will work. I'd probably brew it like this first, and then tweak the amount of wheat malt. I'd probably end up somewhere like 6lbs 2 row and 3lbs of wheat. The base beer will be somewhere around 4.5% ABV, and the peaches will get you another 1% or so ABV. I'd probably cut the .25oz Amarillo at 5mins. I don't think it will really add much to the beer. What AA% is the Amarillo that you're using? 10% AA gets me to around 21 IBU (Tinseth formula), which is probably right around where I'd want to be.

6lbs of peaches sounds about right. I usually use about 1lb per gallon and then use extract to get the aroma to jump out more. I usually get a measure volume of beer and then with an eyedropper, count the drops of extract until it's right. 40ml was the sweet spot for my last Peach Berliner Weisse. Keep in mind that you can always add more, but you can't take it out.

Yes it's a 5 gallon batch. I just had those amarillo hops in my freezer and thought i would add them. Tastybrew has my .75 oz at 12 IBU. Which is on the low side, but I don't think my co-workers are hop heads like me and so I thought i'd keep it low.

That link is working now. Their beer is only 4% ABV, so you may want to cut back on the base malt a little bit. It also describes it as a "refreshing citrus brew". Without tasting it, getting close to it is all but impossible, but the recipe you have above looks pretty solid to me.

Back