Patrigyle-ish

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArmyATCBrewer

Reaction score
A friend and I are brewing two different beers on the same day. The first will be a Flapjack Breakfast Stout (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=496504) and the second a chocolate chili dark ale. After thinking about it, we decided that we could make a third brew from the second runnings of both brews. Somewhat of a twist on partigyle, but we will be combining the grains of both brews and mashing again for the second runnings. All three batches will be 5 gallons each.
Here are the grain bills for each:

Flapjack Breakfast Stout:
11# American 2-Row
2# Rolled Oats
10oz. Franco-Belges Coffee Malt
12oz. Chocolate Malt
8oz. Crisp Roasted Barley
8oz. De-husked Carafa III

Chocolate Chili Dark Ale:
8.1# American 2-Row
2.8# Light Munich
1# De-husked Carafa I
1# Chocolate Malt
0.8# Light Wheat
8oz. Biscuit Malt
4oz. 10L Crystal
4oz. 20L Crystal

After the 1st runnings have been collected from each individual batch, grains will be combined and added to the mash tun along with the following (un-spent) grains:
8oz. De-husked Carafa III
8oz. Crisp Roasted Barley
6oz. Franco-Belges Coffee Malt
4oz. Chocolate Malt

For hops, we’ll be using 2oz. Citra, .5oz. Nugget and .5oz. Target and whatever else we can get our hands on. The yeast will be from a US-05 yeast cake off of a session IPA. I’m considering tossing in 1# of brown sugar and possibly some raisins or cherries to give it a bit of an ABV boost and add some dark fruit notes.
I’ve seen several threads on here about partigyle, but I can’t find anything that describes what we’re planning although I'm sure this has been done before. I’m just wondering if anyone else has done this and also looking for opinions on how this might turn out. Would it make more sense to re-flood the grains and pull second runnings from each batch immediately following collection of the first runnings and then combine both worts? If you have any recommendations, please belt it out. Since we’re already getting two batches out of this, whatever we end up with for the third is just an added bonus. I’m willing to get weird with this one. Cheers!

Whenever I make my big RIS (5 gallon batch), I always throw another 4 gallons of water at about 165* or so and let it sit while I boil the RIS. Then I run off and boil this 4 gallons down to 3 or so for a nice low gravity stout.

Looking at my notes from last time:

20# of grain, 5 gallon batch. I got 5.0 gallons at 1.103 post boil (7.2 gallons at 1.073 pre-boil). I added 4 gallons of 175* water to get the grain up to 165*(to stop conversion) and ran off 4 gallons at 1.025 (Pre boil). Post boil, I had 2.85 gallons at 1.038. A very tasty small stout!

Sorry if the above is confusing. Short answer is, I would throw 3 ish gallons into each batch, run that off and combine for free batch #3. Sounds like you have the right attitude about just taking what you get. You could also throw some DME in there if you want to get the gravity up.

Thanks for your feedback! Sorry it's taken me so long to reply...work's been hectic. We ended up going with collection of second runnings from each batch and combining them rather than combining the grains and remashing together. Here are some pics of the ordeal...View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1426669424.871310.jpg
The dry grains on top of the mash tun were the remainders of the 1# increments that my order came in. They were added before collecting second runnings from my oatmeal stout.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1426669529.066733.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1426669548.154946.jpg
Cheers!

Back