Pasteurizing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schott703

Reaction score
Has anybody ever tried to pasteurize using a wort chiller in reverse?

I thought I could get a kettle boiling, transfer my cider from the primary to the secondary through the immersed copper coil. Some quick experiments on flow rate and temp would let me know if it would work. My guess is it would, I'm wondering what effect the process would have on the secondary phase

You would want to ensure that your wort chiller was squeaky clean on the inside but I see no reason it shouldn't work. Find out what the exiting temp is and how long it stays at that temp.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Why would you pasteurize cider in bulk from primary? I can't think of a great reason. At that point, the cider has had plenty of time to nurture any bugs that you don't want in there, and if you are just trying to stop primary fermentation, keep residual sweetness, and keg, why not just rack to the keg and cold crash?

Hard cider is typically pasteurized in the middle of fermentation in bottles to stop carbonation yet keep residual sweetness.

The reason is every time I add fruit in the secondary it starts a secondary fermentation. Liking to add flavor at that point not more alcohol

The only way to not have fermentation restart when adding "new" fruit, is to have stabilized the cider prior to adding the fruit, or adding the fruit and then pasteurizing.
If you are going to bottle, no problem then.

Yea I guess that makes sense, fruit comes with yeast. Good point.

Well, not really... fruit feeds yeast, or at least the sugar in the fruit feeds the yeast.
It is quite possible to make a sweet carbonated cider, but I wouldn't plan on nailing it on the first try. Are bottling or kegging?

Back