Pasteurizing Clarity please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pappagio

Reaction score
Made a batch of cider today with 5 gallons non pasteurized and no additives. I'm confused about the pasteurizing process in making hard cider. Do you do it initially to make it safe to drink? Do I need to put additives to kill harmful bacteria? I realize the pasteurizing for bottling concept. Looking at it as a non gut rot stand point. Ive poked through pages and pages of threads and Im sure Ive over looked this.

Pasteurizing is done for commercial ciders, juices, milk to kill harmful bacteria, but it also kills good bacteria (or in this case, yeast) in the process. Some people like to use unpasteurized cider and let the wild yeast...run wild to ferment the cider. This can be either good or bad, and not so much as a safety issue, but a taste issue. Using wild yeast produces unpredictable results, as opposed to using pasteurized cider and adding the yeast of your choosing. I do want to try the same approach you are doing someday, but I have limited experience and played it safe with the pasteurized cider and adding yeast. As far as harmful bacteria is concerned, this comes in to play more with not having everything sterile before beginning your cider (carboy/fermentation bucket, any other utensils you used, airlocks, rubber stoppers, etc....) than using unpasteurized cider. Not that having some sort of tainted cider is impossible, but as long as your cider starts to ferment and nothing unusual is taking place, then I think you are fine.

Back