Pasteurising using the dishwasher

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackthorn

Reaction score
Right, I have been reading all the forums over and over trying to find ways to pasteurise sweet cider. Papers stove top method is great and I have tried and tested it to great success!
However I have an electric hob and to get a large stockpot heated to 70 degrees c (sorry I use Celsius) takes literally forever!
I've notice a lot of people mentioning using the dishwasher but have found no clear answers to whether or not it worked!

So I made a batch of cider how I like it
4 cartons lidl apple juice
1 TSP wine tannin
1 TSP pectic
Young's super wine yeast compound (tried with beer yeast and find the flavour off! And I am from the west country where cider is more important than oxygen!)
Demerera sugar
And magical ingredient
Honey!

Og 1065
Stopping fermentation at 1015! Yes and it was still quite active!
Rack into another demijohn and leave for 24 hours, them bottle with no priming needed.
I then bottled to a mixture of swingtops, crown capped and one 1 litre plastic bottle (for heavily gassed flavoured water)
I use the plastic bottle as a measure of how heavy carbonation is.
As this wine yeast is SUPER I find this is after approximately 36 hours!
I then opened a bottle to check!
I then put some bottles on the stove and some in the bottom of the dishwasher on rapid wash. Which reaches about 70 degrees c and runs for approximately 30 minutes.
Both results are on par.

So yes the dishwasher works!

Leave for a while and enjoy! And enjoy you will I promise!
A medium sweet sparkling cider. Not far off thatchers gold! Just stronger!
Let me know how you all get on!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Home Brew mobile app

Is there any disadvantage to this method besides potentially damaging the dishwasher if a bottle breaks? It seems so much easier and safer than the stove-top method.

What settings do you use? Can you fill up both bottom and top racks? Do you do the heated-dry as well?

I use rapid wash which is about 40 minutes and gets to 150 degrees. No breakages yet!
Easier than using my electric hob!
Only use the bottom because i keep the bottles stood up and don't fit in the top rack.
Let me know how you get on! And good luck

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Home Brew mobile app

Did this the other day... Ran the dry cycle, too.

One blew up, it was a thin twist top Redds bottle though. They've sat on the shelf at 63 degrees for over a week or two now so I hope they're good.

Any reason why you should avoid the dry cycle? Does it get too hot?

When I used the dishwasher to pasteurize my hard cider, I too had a blowout. I still hear the tiny pieces in the pump tank, but everything still works fine. The next batch of hard cider I bottle I will use my ten gallon pot, outside, and with a weight on the lid just in case...

When I did mine in the DW, is used Steam and the sani cycle, I don't believe it was too hot, or there would have been more bottle bombs.

Back