Partigyle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DWBoca

Reaction score
I'm interested in this, I'm making an imperial black IPA. I was wondering if making a black IPA would be feasible.

Not a problem. This combination of brews work very well. After I gather enough wort at the SG I need, I cap the mash with a smaller addition of grain in the same proportion as the first mash, 4 lbs of base etc. I will mash this in and let it sit while I finish my first boil and chill. I have been getting great results. Good Luck

Not a problem. This combination of brews work very well. After I gather enough wort at the SG I need, I cap the mash with a smaller addition of grain in the same proportion as the first mash, 4 lbs of base etc. I will mash this in and let it sit while I finish my first boil and chill. I have been getting great results. Good Luck

How do you calculate the temp of your second batch of strike water? The bulk of the mass shouldn't be too far off of mash temp at that point, correct?

I did this with my Barleywine and what I call my 2nd runnings ale. Barleywine is about 10% and the ale is 3.3%.

Just did a recipe for a 10 gallon batch. Used the first runnings for the Barleywine. Batch sparged as normal and used the 2nd runnings for the ale.

Actually my commercial beer drinking friend tell me the 2nd runnings is the beer they like best that I have made. :mad:

So you did this for a 10 gallon batch, what if I wanted to try this with a 5 gallon batch. Start with the recipe for my imperial bipa, mash sparge. Like a normal batch. Could I just sparge bigger and take those runnings and make another smaller 5 gallon black IPA ?

So you did this for a 10 gallon batch, what if I wanted to try this with a 5 gallon batch. Start with the recipe for my imperial bipa, mash sparge. Like a normal batch. Could I just sparge bigger and take those runnings and make another smaller 5 gallon black IPA ?

I got 2 10 gallon batches for 5 gallons each. I planned 10 gallons to get enough grain in the mash.

You can do any size the same way. Have some DME on hand to "adjust" your 2nd batch if to low. I didn't but it worked out just fine.

Just take SG readings as you go and you should be able to get what you want.

Edmanster, Thanks so much.
How have I come up with my grain bill? I have just relied on experience from the several batched I have brewed, I searched for resources like this but finding non, I just went for it. I added about 1/2 the original grain bill plus additional special grains.

How do you calculate the temp of your second batch of strike water? The bulk of the mass shouldn't be too far off of mash temp at that point, correct?
I add water at just above my target temperature, around 160 to 165 degrees and adjust accordingly.
I have had great success in brewing this way, really no problems.

When designing high gravity recipes, I plan on essentially doing a batch sparge, but with the second batch being the second runnings. This gets run through your software at about 50% efficiency (equipment/ingredient depending) and then I just copy the mash bill into another recipe list to be run through with a mash eff of 25 to 30 (again YMMV). Run your second runnings at normal mash temp and let them sit in for the duration of the boil. When the boil is done and racked to the fermenter you can boil up those second runnings. It's easier than people often think, but I've found that it's a good deal more difficult to do near scientifically, so the second runnings can be questionable. One of my best beers was a second running, though there have been some less than stellar seconds.

I can't speak for SeeMont, but I use ice to bring my mash temp down when I am too high. A handful will drop the temp rather quickly. It is easier to add ice to chill, than to try to bring the mash temp up once you've doughed-in. Take a stab at it, and cool it down to where you need be.

I BIAB and will make 2 batches in a day. I will heat strike water to 185 or so for the second batch and then put it in a couple of buckets while I am transferring the first mash back to my kettle. I mash in the 2nd batch and add ice to get my temp correct.

Back