Partigyle Brewing Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RLinNH

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Brewing up a RIS tomorrow, so I figured I would try a Partigyle batch. Why let all that left over grain go to waste?

The offshoot of the RIS will be a Milk Stout. I figure add a pound of Lactose in the Boil, some Flaked Oats and Flaked Barley to the Mash tun during my batch sparge for the partigyle end, and I should be good. Now, no worries about the Flaked Barley and Flaked Oats, eh? They are just their for Mouth feel, they don't need to Mash, so I figured that 20 minutes at 169 degrees out to be about right. What do you think? Also, I will be using some DME to up the O.G. for the Partigyle end, and was wondering exactly which DME should I use? I haven't used DME in over 10 years, so please forgive me for the noob question. I was thinking dark DME, as, it is a Stout. And, how many points does a pound of DME raise your O.G.?

I was under the impression that in order to get mouthfeel you still had to mash to release what creates it.I could be wrong. You could always go to beercalculus.com and add 1# DME and change the batch size to 1gal and that should give you the aprox. gravity you would be adding. Let us know how it goes!

The flaked barley and oats should be fine, but if you're concerned you could just mash it with the rest. 1lb DME is around 44ppg, so it'll raise your OG about 0.009 in 5 gallons. Personally I'd use light DME so you have full control over whats going into your brew

Latest posts

Back