Particles in beer after biab mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcodville

Reaction score
Hello, I'm fairly new to all grain BIAB I just finished my second ever, a citrus wheat.

When I took my sample for pre boil gravity I noticed there were quite a few particles in the wort, which settled to the bottom of my gravity checking cylinder when cooled. Is this from milling my grain too fine? Or maybe my brew bag isn't quite fine enough of a mesh?

Thanks for the help guys!

It's normal. When milling grain you can't decide just how fine the particles end up. you only have control over a certain majority of the size. There will be large and small pieces all mixed together.

In any case, it won't hurt anything. The larger pieces (essentially anything that is visible to the naked eye) will settle out rather quickly. The yeast and some proteins will settle (flocculate) later because they are so much smaller.

If you are really concerned you can perform the boil and afterward the chill wait a little bit to rack the wort into the fermentor. If you are careful you can avoid the larger particles and get some fairly clear wort in the fermentor. But then again, anything that settles that quickly will quickly settle in the fermentor, so I don't worry about it.

Awesome, thanks. That's kind of what I was thinking, just the finer grains/flour seeping through. I'll give it a good cold crash before bottling and compact that sucker down

Back